_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
normally build tanks, but for this I blame
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 667 posts
Model Shipwrights: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 - 07:44 PM UTC
wg wows. picked up flykawk's Prince of Wales 1/700 41-5. far better than trumps Warspite. anyway, the UP launchers on KGV, were they located on B/(X)Y turrets? those parts seem to be included. I suspect there were other differences between PoW and KGV, which I have ingame, as well as Warspite. thx
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 - 11:57 PM UTC
What year are you planing your KGV to depict?

In 1940 UP's were fitted as follows, 1 mount on B and 2 mounts on Y turret plus 1 on the quarter deck right aft.

Unlike tanks (modern tanks excluded) ships go through refits and can come out looking completely different. All the KGV class had some differences between each other, you'll need to narrow it down to a month and year.
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 - 06:05 AM UTC
time of Bismark chase, shortly before/after but before any refit after the chase. the box top shows 1941.5 so I figure that'll be may. wish I had borg eyes
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 - 11:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In 1940 UP's were fitted as follows, 1 mount on B and 2 mounts on Y turret plus 1 on the quarter deck right aft.

Unlike tanks (modern tanks excluded) ships go through refits and can come out looking completely different. All the KGV class had some differences between each other, you'll need to narrow it down to a month and year.

Wasn't it not long after Bismark chase that the royal navy pulled the UP's off their ships as they ineffective?

Mark
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 - 08:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Wasn't it not long after Bismark chase that the royal navy pulled the UP's off their ships as they ineffective?

Mark

yeah, wasn't long after, I think, and for that reason. from what I've read, some were launched as a demonstration that went wrong. wind caught the parachute
trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2019 - 06:59 PM UTC
hmmmm, misidentified parts? gb37 are lifeboats and yet, they're also ventilators? there is a gb39 sprue which appears to be the intended parts in the callout step5 pg2
 _GOTOTOP