_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Tip for doing rigging.....
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 06:38 AM UTC
Hey Guys -

I just tried out a new technique for doing some rigging, and thought I'd share.

First - go to Wal-Mart and buy some cheap black pantyhose Seriously.... you can wear em if you want to... but I didn't try mine on.....

Then you make a "run" in the hose and pull out several strands. Twist these into a cable (I used 3 strands, but you can achieve differen't thicknesses by using more or fewer strands).

Then apply a drop of CA glue where the rigging wire originates and stick one end of your wire there. Leave some extra to overhang (trim the extra off with a sharp exacto blade after the CA dries).

Then all you have to do is apply a drop of CA glue to the destination point for the other end of the rigging and stretch the panyhose to that point and fix it in place. Once the glue is dry you can trim the excess with an exacto.

I like this method because you don't have to measure the exact length of each piece of rigging. The panyhose stretches, so you just need to be in the ballpark. Another plus is that because the wires are under tension, you will not get any sag (unless you want to depict some sag in certain wires).

Just thought I'd pass this along... hope it helps

Jeff
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:18 AM UTC
This method sounds great for a single wire system, however past experience has shown in a multiple wire like the 6 line version on the KG V, as you add more wires, the tension increases causing sag in the first one you did. PLan to use the thin gauge guitar wire system as featured in the FSM article this past March isue. got some extra tips from the author over on the ship web.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 02:22 AM UTC
Ok, I go to Hobby Lobby, no man's land, for moss to make grass from. I go to the manicure department at Wal-Mart to get a one drop super glue dispenser. I pretty confident of my manhood but I can just HEAR the laughter coming from my wife and daughters, especially my 16 year old, if pick up a pair of pantyhose.

Think I'll pass on this tip but thanks for sharing.

jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 07:24 AM UTC
hehehe - Rodger, you are right on that Now that you mention it, I did get a few funny looks.....

When I get farther along, I'll post some pics.... you can then decide if it is worth it.. lol

Take care-
Jeff
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 03:47 AM UTC
Just dont put them on your head when your in the store... I dont think they have armorama in jails yet

Sean #:-)
 _GOTOTOP