_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
King George V watertight doors
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Model Shipwrights: 44 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 07:54 AM UTC
Hi All,

I am currently building the 1:350 KGV with Pontos detail set but I ran into a problem. The Pontos set comes with a number of watertight doors of various types, but:

1) there seem to be not enough doors for the whole ship
2) on the instructions these doors are not shown (except for a few), so I don't know where to place them, except as a replacement for the few that Tamiya molded on.
3) I have no clue about which type goes where. The set has the "flat" type, wide and narrow and the "waffle" pattern with and and without a small triangular roof or something like that above it

Did anybody encounter this problem as well? I was thinking of buying the profile morskie plans to help me find the location and type of doors used, does anybody know if these drawings show the doors? Furthermore I need more doors, I found a WEM set, but are there other sets that you guys can recommend?

Cheers,

Matthijs
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Monday, July 27, 2020 - 02:19 PM UTC
Mat,

I have a copy of the HMS King George V printed by Kagero, printed 2013, author Witold Koszela. It is very detailed and the foldouts are in 1/350 scale and they show I believe all the doors and hatches. According to the drawings all of the doors are of the same type. I don't know if that is accurate as I purchased this book believing the author was accurate.
Also the book has drawings as to what she looked like after each upgrade during the war.

Also take a look at Gold Metal Model, they sell PE doors and hatches for British ships. I prefer them over WEM as they are now just a clone of Tom's ModelWorks, which I am not a big fan of.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Mark
McRunty
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 349 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 02:01 AM UTC
Mat,

I would also recommend looking at Russels build log - "The King! - HMS King George V, May 41"

He put a lot of work into it and his attention to detail is amazing.
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 05:11 AM UTC
Hi Mark,

thank you very much for the suggestions about he the PE and the book, I will definitely try to get hold of a copy.

Hi Rory,

I am familiar with the fantastic model made by Russell, I must have read his complete blog already 10 times. It were actually his in progress pictures that made me notice that a lot of doors were missing from my Pontos set. I can only hope my model will become as good as his
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 - 03:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mat,

I would also recommend looking at Russels build log - "The King! - HMS King George V, May 41"

He put a lot of work into it and his attention to detail is amazing.

Quoted Text

Hi Mark,

thank you very much for the suggestions about he the PE and the book, I will definitely try to get hold of a copy.

Hi Rory,

I am familiar with the fantastic model made by Russell, I must have read his complete blog already 10 times. It were actually his in progress pictures that made me notice that a lot of doors were missing from my Pontos set. I can only hope my model will become as good as his

Hi Mat, Rory

Thank you very much for the kind words-very humbling.

I'll have a look through my references and see what I can find out for you
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2020 - 05:48 PM UTC
Hi Mat,

so I've racked my brain and gone through the references I used and this is what I found/remember...

For my main reference I used Roger Chesnau's Shipcraft #2 King George V Battleships. You can see it hiding in the back ground of this picture here

For my secondary reference I used the Profile Morskie drawings for additional support.

I went with this style of water tight doors all over the ship.

These are the style provided with the WEM set for the KGV ships and I also bought their watertight doors set for RN WW2 ships to cover off the additional doors I required. Close up reference shots seem to indicate this was the type of door used.

I believe the so-called waffle pattern is what you would see on the inside of the door...

Hope this is of assistance.

And a last word of advice, if I may: If we don't know it's wrong, chances are, no-one else will either
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2020 - 08:29 PM UTC
Hi Russell,

thanks again for checking for me, you are a great help to me.
I just ordered the Roger Chesneau book as e-book, since as a hardcopy it is almost impossible to get it. I also ordered the Profile Morskie drawings as PDF, that is a nice service they provide I must say. It is hard to obtain PE sets for ships here in the Netherlands (you can have it shipped from outisde the EU at sometimes ridiculous shipping rates and for anything over 20 euros, customs will add VAT/import duties and so on to it). But luckily I found a bunch of Mk1 watertight doors as an addition to the Pontos set from an EU vendor. In the meantime I have been in contact with WEM about the carley floats. They are getting them back into production. It will be pricey since I need to buy 4 sets. Luckily I can purchase them from a local dealer to save me the customs problems and I don't need them soon.

Regarding your comment: "If we don't know it's wrong, chances are, no-one else will either" I fully agree My friends all build 1:35 tanks and can't tell the difference between a battleship and a cruiser so whatever I tell them about my KGV they will believe

One major struggle remains, the deck colour: should it be japan black or not? I have found a lot of pictures on the IWM site of the 1941 period. Some clearly show a pitch black deck (close up shot of Churchill on deck), some show a dark but not black deck but could be water/faded paint/shade/my interpretation of an old B/W picture. some close up pictures clearly show the wood grain, so it could not have been painted. I want to avoid paining my beautiful wooden deck

Cheers,

Matthijs
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2020 - 01:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Russell,

thanks again for checking for me, you are a great help to me.
I just ordered the Roger Chesneau book as e-book, since as a hardcopy it is almost impossible to get it. I also ordered the Profile Morskie drawings as PDF, that is a nice service they provide I must say. It is hard to obtain PE sets for ships here in the Netherlands (you can have it shipped from outisde the EU at sometimes ridiculous shipping rates and for anything over 20 euros, customs will add VAT/import duties and so on to it). But luckily I found a bunch of Mk1 watertight doors as an addition to the Pontos set from an EU vendor. In the meantime I have been in contact with WEM about the carley floats. They are getting them back into production. It will be pricey since I need to buy 4 sets. Luckily I can purchase them from a local dealer to save me the customs problems and I don't need them soon.

Hi Mat. I hear you. We have a similar problem here in Australia, where the postage costs become prohibitive. We call it the Australia Tax

If you can, I'd suggest the water tight doors from WEM, if you're going to get the carley floats as well, as the water tight doors by WEM are quite nice...

I had hoped to add WEM carley floats to my build as well, but I ran out of patience waiting for them to come back into stock

Quoted Text

Regarding your comment: "If we don't know it's wrong, chances are, no-one else will either" I fully agree My friends all build 1:35 tanks and can't tell the difference between a battleship and a cruiser so whatever I tell them about my KGV they will believe

:D This is the truth: any casual observer will never know. Even my Dad, who's quite interested in these things, still thinks I built the Hood!

Quoted Text

One major struggle remains, the deck colour: should it be japan black or not? I have found a lot of pictures on the IWM site of the 1941 period. Some clearly show a pitch black deck (close up shot of Churchill on deck), some show a dark but not black deck but could be water/faded paint/shade/my interpretation of an old B/W picture. some close up pictures clearly show the wood grain, so it could not have been painted. I want to avoid paining my beautiful wooden deck

Cheers,

Matthijs

Well, again, I think the same rule applies as mentioned above: if we don't know, then chances are others won't either....

Profile Morskie shows a darkened deck on their colour profile, but, as you say, some pics do indeed show a lighter colour. Personally, I don't believe the deck was ever "painted"as such, but possibly darkened with something such as a charcoal... Of course these were also "wet"ships with low sheer, and so being wet a lot of the time, the decks would appear darker than natural, especially with B&W photos...

Having said all that, for my own taste, I agree, a natural wooden deck is a beautiful thing, and that is what I chose to do, and if it is what you prefer, then I recommend the same for your build.

PS. If you can find a copy, VE Tarrant's book on the class is a really great read
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2020 - 11:57 AM UTC
Mat,

I found a close up picture of the King George was able to get a good look at he watertight doors. The drawings in the Kagero book are inaccurate and the ones Russell used are accurate. Time to check my PE sets to make sure they are accurate.

Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2020 - 02:27 PM UTC
no doubt about it...

Duke of York Bridge

KGV

mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2020 - 07:20 PM UTC
Hi Mark & Russell,

thanks for the pictures, I think they give the definitive answer to my question. Now I just have to wait till my additional doors come in and I can continue with my KGV

Cheers

Matthijs
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2020 - 12:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mark & Russell,

thanks for the pictures, I think they give the definitive answer to my question. Now I just have to wait till my additional doors come in and I can continue with my KGV

Cheers

Matthijs

Good to hear Mat

I hope you post a blog of your build-always good to see a KGV class built
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2020 - 06:24 PM UTC
a blog? sure why not it would be the first time for me but why not. I'll start it this weekend since temperatures go up to 37 degrees, no sane Dutch person will be leaving the house anyway
Lot's of building time for me
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2020 - 10:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

a blog? sure why not it would be the first time for me but why not. I'll start it this weekend since temperatures go up to 37 degrees, no sane Dutch person will be leaving the house anyway
Lot's of building time for me

Good to hear Mat-I'll be keeping an eye out for it

PS. No sane person should want to be out doors when it's over 37 anywhere
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2020 - 11:40 PM UTC
Wow, 37 degrees. I can remember wearing sweaters in Northern Germany during August in the 1970s. Thank you global warming!

Mark
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2020 - 09:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, 37 degrees. I can remember wearing sweaters in Northern Germany during August in the 1970s. Thank you global warming!

Mark

Lol! Global warming/climate change... We've had one of the coldest/wettest winters we've had in decades. Exactly how they were when I was growing up
 _GOTOTOP