_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
KMS Bismarck Color?
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 05:38 AM UTC
I am thinking about starting my Bismarck from Heller, and am a little confused as the color. Would Model Master Engine Grey work for the grey color that the ship is painted?

Thanks again!

~Chip
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 01:40 PM UTC
Howdy Chip! The DKM Bismarck whore several paint scheme's in its short history.
What scheme are you wanting to paint it in? Might be able to help you out!

Cheers,

Garry
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 03:16 PM UTC
I was going to do the one on the Heller box, with the white splinters.

garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 05:27 PM UTC
Ok Chip, I used model masters enamel. the main hull and superstructure(vertical) I used dark gull gray with a few drops of white to lighten it a bit. For the Dark colored bow and stearn sections use gunship gray. then naturaly white and black for the stripes. wood decks I used light tan. most metal decks and walkways are painted the gunship gray. I will try to post a drawing for you to go by.

HTH,

Garry
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 05:40 PM UTC
Here is a drawing of the Bismarck's top, it shows the different colors of the surfices to be painted.

Hope this works!
Sorry it did'nt work Chip! you can copy it from my gallery.
Garry
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
Model Shipwrights: 292 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 11:55 PM UTC
Hi Chip,

If you want to paint your BISMARCK accurately, you'll want to use our Colourcoats Kriegsmarine paints, matched to the originals:

KM 13, Baltic Hellgrau (superstructure);
KM 14, Baltic Mittelgrau (hull);
KM 15, Baltic Dunkelgrau (dark bow & stern sections);
KM 04, Schiffsbodenfarbe III Rot 5 (underwater hull);
KM 05, Schiffsbodenfarbe III Grau 1 (boot-topping);
KM 06, Dunkelgrau 2 (steel decks & turret tops);
C 01, Teak (wood decks)
C 02, Matt Black (stripes & maintopmast);
C 03, Matt White (stripes);
C 04, Matt Aluminum (funnel cap).

You can order Colourcoats online at:

http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/brochure/images/wembrass/wempe2001b.jpg

and we ship worldwide.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 08:55 AM UTC
Chip go to website Kbismarck.com look in the line drawings section, then match your colors. Those White ensig paints are top notch, but you'll cry when you see how much they cost and then throw in that shipping from England...probably each bottle costs as much as you paid for the kit. Garry usually is right on when it comes to painting ships, I use his advice a lot.
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 09:55 AM UTC
Colourcoats expensive??!! Cry when you see the price??

Colourcoats to Stateside customers are £1.19 (that about $2.15) per tin. Airmail shipping is at cost, based on weight, and adds about 15%, making the per tin cost about $2.48. Check the paint prices at your local hobby shop, and then figure how much you'll have to pay for all the colors you'll need to come up with accurate mixes.

There is no minimum order quantity for Colourcoats, and we usually ship within 48 hours.

Don't know where you got your information from, Blaster, but it's not accurate.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 04:00 PM UTC
My apologies, thought pound was eqaul to $2.5 then there was the value added tax of 17% and shipping ain't cheap. When you say tin I also in-vision something the size of those old Humbrol paints...which quantity wise is about 1/2 to 2/3 the size of Model Master Equated in my mind to about twice as much then for our Testors paint which we can get for $1.90 Plus you are recommending 10 colors So I guess that's where I come up with my numbers.

John I'm realy not trying to start a war here. I've seen White Ensign stuff and it is THE top of the line when it comes to ship stuff. The most accurate paints, the most detailed PE. But you see I also know the members of our little club (Armorama) here. Chip is a teenager and paying that much for paint is not real conducive to his modeling budget (nor mine for that matter)
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 09:56 PM UTC
Hi Blaster,

No problem. I have to keep an eye on exchange rates daily. It's currently about $1.80 to the Pound, which ain't great. A year ago, it was about $1.40 to the Pound. Hopefully it will head in that direction again!

Also, no one outside the UK and European Union pays the 17.5% Value Added Tax (VAT).

The tins are 1/2 ounce (14ml).

I do understand being a teen modeller--been there, done that. I was simply trying to provide the most accurate paint guidance possible.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 07:17 AM UTC
John, like I said no problems here. I quite understand the desire for accuracy. As I said earlier, for ships your stuff is the best, for tanks, I think Master Modlers is best. For Figures, I would use the Andrea line. Me, I mix and match pants if I can't find what I want or need. I've used some of your paint in the past so I know how good it is.

Regards

Steve Joyce

Oh and Chip, sorry for butting into your post like this. I'm collecting material for a 350 scale build of the Bismarck. I haven't decided which scheme I'm going to use yet. Got some large scale prints coming from friends to help me decide. He sure is a beautiful ship isn't he (The Germans call warships he)
 _GOTOTOP