_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Best laid plans of mice and model builders
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 09:41 AM UTC
I thought I'd share one of the pratfalls of model building with you all. I finally got my reference source for my USS Portland in the Unsung Sisters campaign. Warship Pictorial #10, Indianapolis and Portland. The one thing I've heard that was different on the two cruisers was the secondary gun directors position on the Portland. Every other cruiser in the US Navy had them placed one fore and one aft but for some reason Portland had them on port and starboard bridge wings. See photo.

While looking at the book I found out that this arrangement was changed later in the war so I didn't have to worry about scratch building this lay out. RELIEF. Unfortunately I noticed something else much more critical. On the Portland the forecastle deck, the forward deck that is higher on the hull, extends back to just forward of the fore stack. See photo.

On the Indianapolis, and on the Tamiya model, this deck extends back further than the fore stack. See photo. This by the way is why the Indy was a popular ship for admirals and visiting dignitaries like FDR, more cabin space for VIPs.

Bottom line is my Portland is basically going to look exactly like the Indianapolis, except for the hull number which I'll have to change.

BTW, if anybody hasn't tried using the new way of posting images, it's great. Just upload the image to your gallery, click on the full size picture, find where it says "copy and paste to display in forum, hit copy, then go to your post and hit Control V to paste it. Quick and easy.

garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 11:43 AM UTC
Hi Rodger!
I can see your dilema. Dang, no way to cut that out without making a big mess either!
Good eye for seeing that. As long as everything else matches up and your happy with it, I dont think it would be noticed. How about some progress pic's Rodger?

Cheers,

Garry
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 10:24 AM UTC
Thanks Roger for that info about posting pictures i your posts..now computer dummies like me can post my own....say do you know how to delte pictures from our galleries? I'ld ike to clean a few out so that I have room in the future for my newer creations
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 03:28 AM UTC
This is one area that Jim hasn't been able to streamline, since the software for it isn't under Jim's control. If you go to your gallery, click on the picture you want to delete, you can scroll down to a box to delete that picture. You have to do it one pic at a time, which is a drag.

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Model Shipwrights: 47 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 04:46 AM UTC
If you had not mentioned it I would have never known. LOL!!
 _GOTOTOP