_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Vosper MTBs, German S-boats
geronimo
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 136 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 01:53 AM UTC
Gentlemen,

Last week I had to buy (you know that) Revell's British Vosper MTB. Back home, I realized that I dont't know anything at all about (modeling) warships. No reference material. No problem, ootb then. Some googling showed me one (1) bad photo of the version I'm building. Nothing to rely on. And there seem to exist "few" other versions (60 feet, 70feet, with 2, 4 or without torpedos (MGB)). To make things more complicated, the Airfix Vosper MTB looks completely different concerning its torpedo tubes.
Now I'd like to ask some basic questions about my (Revell's)model:

1)What am I exactly building ?
2)When and where did it see action ?
3)What is the Airfix thing ?

Since I'm very pleased building that boat, I already ordered Revells S-boat which represents (according to google) a 1939 model S-boat (late war).
According to the same sources, the "German E-boat" (we always say S for "schnell" = fast) by Airfix is a 1937 model.
(The 1938 model was like the 1939 type but slightly smaller, served in Mediterranean theater and is not important for me)

4)Are they basically the same, just with different (or more aerodynamical) superstructures ?
5)Does anyone have plans/drawings/pictures about the 1937 (Airfix) model for a conversion or scratchbuilding project ?

Help the fool, please !

Thanks a lot in advance

Frank
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 03:50 AM UTC
Hi Frank

I had a quick look through my meagre references and found one pic of a Vosper MTB similar to the Revell boat.

The caption says it was built in the US to a Vosper design and supplied under lend-lease. It is seen leaving harbour at Livorno.
The British Vosper designs grew as the war progressed to allow increases in armament. Even between identically built boats the armament varied as they were given more powerful guns as they became available. The airfix kit is I believe a 72 footer.
By the way aren't the figures in the Revell kit terrible?
rlockie
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 04:49 AM UTC
The design of the MTB kitted by Revell was actually built exclusively for the Soviet Navy. Unfortunately I know next to nothing about the WW2 Soviet Navy so can't tell you if that type saw action and if so, where or when.

The Airfix MTB is a 73ft design which was used by the RN but only late in the war.

Airfix's Schnellboot is a pre-war design which was used early on in action although there are some problems with hull shape and dimensions according to those who have researched such matters. The Revell Schnellboot is a later version that is far more accurate although it still has a few problems if you are concerned with such matters. Consult www.prinzeugen.com for Dave Krakow's excellent site on the subject of S-boote and I can also recommend his and T Garth Connelly's book for Squadron Signal. There is a Classic Warships book too but much of the content is taken from other publications and the Osprey book is (in my opinion) a waste of money as it has no new information at all.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 09:24 AM UTC
Thanks for the info. I've had an Airfix Vosper around for a decade, I occassionally work on it. Nice to know more about it. Who knows, I may actually finish it someday, it is about 60% built
geronimo
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 136 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 09:42 PM UTC
Thanks a lot guys !

I took a few looks at www.prinzeugen.com and www.schnellboot.com AND ordered the squadron/signal "S-boats in action".

@brandydoguk

Beautiful picture (and the best I've seen yet). Yeah, at the second look I realized it was the crew. Thought of looking in the spares box for some homeless tank crews. Generally spoken, the whole kit needs a good amount of putty and sanding (but even me can do it).

@rlockie

So my baby (I'm pretty sure it's a 60feet) didn't see a lot of action with the RN ? And if at all, then early-war ? [auto-censored], I thought of doing a diorama of an MTB engaging an S-boat (similar to the one on dynamic-dioramas). Now I have to go downtown to get the airfix one - this is your fault ;-)
According to the above mentioned sites, the Airfix S-boat saw action during the whole war. But your right, it was the last pre-war-design (and the first one to receive Daimler-Benz engines and 40kn). I also found some plans of it, and I'm still damned sure that the general layout of both S-boats is similar (some reshaping of the bow-section, another bridge, cutting away the torpedo tubes ...), what would make my life easier. The airfix S-boat costs 45€ , even on e-bay ! I can get 3 revell boats for trial & error for that amount of money !

Few (hopefully) final questions:

Which type is the Vosper RAF Rescue ? 60 or 73 feet ?
Which "body" was used for the Vosper MGBs (Motor Gun boats; built to encounter S-boats) I've read of ?
Which color did the RN and the DKM use for their equipment (helmets) and cloths ?

Thanks again, gentlemen

C[ ] Cheers

Frank
 _GOTOTOP