_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Drilling flood holes.........Is it worth it ?
sweatydogz
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 114 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 09:23 AM UTC
Hi all,
Well just got the Revell 1/72 U-boat. I've seen the pictures/reviews on the net, but i just can't make my mind up about the hull drainage holes. should i drill them out or paint them black.

If I drill them does it improve the look, or is there no real difference.

To many choices

Hmm........ I have a headache

modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 10:37 AM UTC
Life's too short. Just paint 'em, that's what I did.......Mike T
Colt45
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 07:45 AM UTC
I used a drill bit just smaller than the outline of the flood hole. I drilled both ends of the flodd hole and cleaned them out with my exacto knife. I used a cordless drill set at low speed. It makes one hell of a difference! It took me about 3 hours or so to drill and clean up the floodholes. I will eventually post pictures of my U Boat.
sweatydogz
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 09:18 AM UTC
Thanks lads,

better start drilling

Hopefully post some pics soon

Rick
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 01:35 PM UTC
Dril the holes!

Itl be mroe work, and thats the fun part, youl spend more time on the model..
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 01:40 PM UTC
Would it be possible to auger-out the plastic from behind which would also reveal the drainage ports and not make them appear so deep. Just thinkin' out loud.

Cody
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 10:40 PM UTC
There I thought you guys were going to show us the difference of the two so we could decide.
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Model Shipwrights: 44 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 11:48 PM UTC
Hi,

I have this sub. I took my dremel and started removing the plastic from the inside of the hull. This is a delicate job, because if you push to hard you will end up with a massive flood hole (depth charge attack?). If you push to long your hull will melt and warp. I used the same technique on the deck, which took me lots of hours work. The result however looks really much better than the closed holes. Be sure you make some simple pressure hull otherwise your model looks really hollow. Oh, by the way, the tool I used on my dremel is the steel rotating brush (normally used to polish metal). It works much better than a rotating stone or sanding disk. (where safety glasses because my eyes were red and painfull from the small and hot pieces of plastic flying into them)
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 489 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 08:59 AM UTC
This is a rather interesting question. I would say that it would probably look better drilled out. This will undoubtedly take some time to do. This reminds me of another post in which someone asked how long it takes for some of us to complete a model. Well, I decided while building the German carrier Graf Zeppelin, that I would drill the port holes out because I didn't like the way it looked painted. I have been drilling these out with a slightly undersized drill bit in a pin vise whenever I feel the urge. I have been working on it for about 2 1/2 years now. Also, I should have did this BEFORE I had assembled the ship to prevent damage to the rest of the kit. It is tedious work.

If you decide to do this time consuming task, plan ahead,and be sure to use references to be able to get the correct look to the finished project rather than have it just look like holes drilled in plastic.
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Model Shipwrights: 85 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 08:57 AM UTC
I, too, am debating drilling out all of the flood holes... But I am hoping to find some sort of shot of what the pressure hull looks like WITHOUT THE DECK --- I want to make the Interior semi-accurate without doing much more work, 'cuz it ain't really gonna be seen!

But so far, no luck on any photos of the VIIC under construction (with pressure hull visible) or in for repair or refit, sans deck. Arg! What have you folks done or thought about this?

Any ideas?

Thanks, amigos!

Aloha,

Johnny B.
sweatydogz
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 09:55 AM UTC
Johnny

No pics of the real thing, but this link might help
http://www.ipmsusa.org/Reviews/Kits/Ships/Revell_72_U-boat_VIIC/Revell_72_U-boat_VIIC.htm

Rick
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 05:40 AM UTC
Help me see this in my head...are we talking about the numerous holes along both sides of the hull? I have a U-boat that has some of these holes drilled out...I could post a pic if that is what the topic is about.

I say drill them out....it may be tough work, but I think it is worth it.

Sean
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Model Shipwrights: 85 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 09:16 AM UTC
Heya, Rick,

Thanks a bunch for the link! Apologies for the much- delayed "THANK YOU!"

Much obliged for the link!! Good pix which should really be of help!!

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
Modelbrass
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2004 - 12:25 AM UTC
Here are some pics for you. The holes in the sea hull should give the appearance of the hull being very thin. Hollowing out material with the Dremel from the backside achieves this nicely.

(Photos courtesy of Boris Nakropin)

This pic is actually intended to show the handmade pressure hull support which is visible through the lower flooding grates, but his limber holes' backsides were also visible.

More images are available at these two pages.

Page1
Page2
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2004 - 04:55 AM UTC
Man...I can't wait to get this kit!!!! I have it on backorder. Normally I shy away from expensive PE kits and if they don't add something like railings to a 350 scale ship I skip them. Might reconsider after I get the kit and have a look see what's inside.
 _GOTOTOP