_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Some model Bismarck questions?
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 03:55 AM UTC
Just recieved my 1:350 academy Bismarck.i had a look in the box no rails so am looking round for some,plus it has no covers on the guns i think there called blast bags or somethink like that,could i make them or do they sell them somewhere?also i was going to paint it with an air brush,does anyone use an airbrush on there model ships.iv orded paint from whiteensigmodels hope it will run through an airbrush.sorry to go on but it will be my first model ship and i want to give it a good go.any tips will be greatful thanks all
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
Model Shipwrights: 292 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 04:29 AM UTC
You can certainly brush-paint your BISMARCK. If you'll go to our website and open the brochure side, look for the link to Peter Hall's 1/350 USS HORNET. The ship and the airgroup were all brush-painted using Colourcoats. Peter first primed the ship using Humbrol primer from a spray can.

If you choose to airbrush Colourcoats, thin them about 1:1. For more information on using Colourcoats, go to:

http://www.steelnavy.com/wem_colourcoats.htm
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 09:24 AM UTC
Hi, Railing for your Bismarck Is also provided by WEMS, and they are top notch PE sets! As far ass blast bags go, no company makes them that I know of. I make mine with useing white glue. Forming it around the barrel bases in layers. A slow process, but has good results for me.
I hand brush paint all my model ships. Its just my preferense, and I enjoy it! But each to there own and airbrushing works better for most modelers. Like John said , you will have to thin your paint to airbrush it.
If you have more questions feel free to ask!

Cheers,
Garry
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 10:27 AM UTC
Both Toms MOdelworks and Gold Medal Models make excellent brass kits for the Bismarck. I ordered the Tom's set from Roll Models for $14,25. It has the brass railings as well as crains and a bunch of other stuff. I airbrush probably 90 % of the ships I build.

I use white putty to do my blast bags use a blob and mold it to shape after you've installed the tubes onto the turreet. I use a fine tipped putty blade to shape them.

Have fun with the kit. I have the cheapo verson of yours which is the cheapo version of the Tamiya. Having built most of the Tamiya 350 scale ships I think I can safely say you'll have a ball. I have found them easy to build and look absoluetly marvelous when completed.
 _GOTOTOP