_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Started the Verlinden LCM-3
johnno
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 02:53 PM UTC
The kit is good and solid, but be prepared to do a lot of sanding. The bottom is flat making it ideal for dioramas or a nice shelf display. The aft decking pieces required cutting and sanding to get a good fit, now I'll need to fill some gaps with putty. But if you have the time it can be enjoyable. I have the Verlinden three-man crew, but will modify them as I am doing with some other Army figures to give me a lively crew. I also painted a Tamiya MB jeep in Navy colors and converted the driver to a sailor.
The plan is to fill the well deck with cargo rather than a tank, as these 'workhorses' delivered everything: fuel, supplies, troops, mail, even movies and icecream amongst ships anchored in holding areas in the Pacific.
Johnno
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 11:48 PM UTC
Is this the Trumpetor kit? I didn't know Verlinden made one, if so, how much did it set you back? knew about their figures for it, whcih appear to be fantastic.
johnno
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 10:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is this the Trumpetor kit? I didn't know Verlinden made one, if so, how much did it set you back? knew about their figures for it, whcih appear to be fantastic.

It is Verlinden, I got it through a mail-order house in CA. for $98. Expensive, but then the trumpeter is going for 60-70 dollars. I also added a bunch of stuff to my order which gave me a good discount, plus the shipping was paid for as it is a ONE time shipping charge.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 12:00 AM UTC
Saw the Verlinden kit on ebay. Was going for around 15, so what the heck, I bid on it too.
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,305 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 12:31 AM UTC
johnno,
Now that you have wetted everyone's appetite, how about a couple of "in-progress" photos for those of us who don't have money, but still like to dream?
Ciao for now
Rob
johnno
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 11:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

johnno,
Now that you have wetted everyone's appetite, how about a couple of "in-progress" photos for those of us who don't have money, but still like to dream?
Ciao for now
Rob

Hi Rob,
I am trying to post some. I am working slowly, adding my own personal touches. I have completed the pilot house with brackets for a fire extinguisher, also for a fire axe on the starboard side. I added a door to the hatch opening. Have completed a lot of the cargo, such as two dozen oil drums and a jeep I painted in Navy
colors. I will start on the main hull this week, opening all the hatches and adding open covers. One of which I plan to have a figure emerging from. I think it will turn out great with the super detailing I have planned.
I see you have a BM 2nd patch under your moniker, this your rate?
Pat
 _GOTOTOP