_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Pictures of my Revell 1/72 scale U-Boat
Colt45
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 11:56 AM UTC
Thanks for those of you who answered my questions regarding the PE sets for this monster. I just threw in 4 pictures for you guys to see. Drilling out the flood holes makes a big difference. I modeled it after U552, the "Dancing Devil" boat. If anyone one is interested in purchasing it, please go to: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5908256940
I have it for sale on Ebay. Enjoy.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 03:29 PM UTC
Very well done Colt45 ! All of your weathering looks very convinsing, realistic! So whats next? Are you going to build another floater, or move on to somthing different? Congrats on your build mate!

Cheers,

Garry
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 04:07 PM UTC
It looks absolutely fantastic. Exactly which PE sets did you add to it. I think I want to mimic you. First Class. Though I did hear that White Ensign Models is going to come out with some wooden planking to simulate later models
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 05:13 PM UTC
Well u have surely done a first class job there . Is a kit i have under the list to build. Can u please list the PE available for that ?
BRAVO again

Costas
Colt45
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 06:55 AM UTC
Thanks for the positive input. I did not use any PE parts. The Dancing Devil was built out of the box. I did a lot of pinwashing, dry brushing and pastel work to simulate the rust. It took me a long while to pinwash all the small details on that deck. The pictures don't do it justice. I also used the airbrush to simulate fading from panel to panel, specially on the darker bottom of the boat. I even shot a light green wash to simulate algae growth on the sides and bottom. I saw the WEM PE sets on the web and looks awbesome. I do think it will probably be an overkill to add all those parts since the kit by itself is gorgeous. I do think the deck rails could have been done a bit thinner. I enjoyed building this boat so much that I think I will do another one.
Colt45
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 07:05 AM UTC
Hi Costas and thanks for your comments. If you go to the WEM site, you can see the PE sets that are available. Like I stated before, I did not use any PE parts and honestly think the model is fine out of the box, unless you want to go all the way out! Andrea makes a very nice bridge crew in white metal for this boat, um?, I'm thinking maybe the next one I build will have a crew? Very possible.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 08:35 AM UTC
Wow, it's great to know that some kits are coming out that are super-detailed and you don't need PE sets for. I saw on one of the ON-line model companies that a Czech company came out with two sets of figures for the ship. They were considerably less then the Andreas. Check out Great Models or Roll I forgot which one.
Colt45
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 11:02 AM UTC
Steve
I believe the sets you mentioned are resin. I would like to compare them since I've heard the metal ones are of better detail. I will try to take a peek at the ones you are talking about. I think they go for about $8 instead of the $25 for Andrea.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 11:15 PM UTC
There are 3 sets by CMK, I saw them on ebay. THey are resin, current bidding puts them around $5-$6 each
A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 715 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 11:53 PM UTC
Very nice.... i'd buy it if i had the money. Maybe i can get my cousin interested for you.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 12:04 AM UTC
I saw the bid was up to $205.00 and the reserve still not met? What the heck are you asking? The basic kit is what $50 or less? I may need to get into this business.
A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 715 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 12:59 AM UTC
He is right you know.
 _GOTOTOP