_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Schnellboot Figure Suggestions
ZONER1
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2004 - 04:22 AM UTC
I'm just starting construction on the 1/72 Revell Schnellboot and plan to incorporate it into a combat diorama. Given Revell's and other manufacturers failure to supply Kriegsmarine personnel, I wondered what suggestions you folk might have for figurine sets that could be modified for this project. I'd prefer to stay in the plastic family. All suggestions welcomed and appreciated. Thanks.
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,055 posts
Model Shipwrights: 30 posts
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2004 - 06:30 AM UTC
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/24140&page=1 Check here. I hope this helps. Thanks for your time.
geronimo
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 136 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:00 PM UTC
Hi Matt,

This is exactly what I'm doing right now ! Well, in 2 hours after work. The old Airfix Vosper MTB will be the counterpart. I thought of using 1/72 armor crews (Esci) and infantry or ground crews by the German figure manufacturer "Preiser". They used to do really good 1/87 railroad stuff only, but now they do the same stuff in "bigger" scale. One point for them is that their figures do not have the common (unnatural) poses as in the 50+ pieces Revell boxes; another point is, they are made of polystyrene which makes them suitable for conversions.
But I'm not sure if you can get your hands on it in the States.
Sorry for late reply, but I was just back from holidays on Monday.

Prost

Frank
ZONER1
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 12:45 AM UTC
Frank,

Appreciate the feedback. I also stumbled across the Preiser line of 1/72 figures, which are available in the US and are very workable. I'm using the german paratrooper set, since they have the kind of bulky clothing that you'd expect to see in that theatre, with suitable modifications to heads or helmets. Let's hope Preiser comes thru with a dedicated line on their own at some point.

Matt
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 - 03:35 AM UTC
CMK came out with 3 different sets (in Resin) of figures for the 72nd scale U-boat. I am sure they would be quite adaptable. Seems They sell for around $7 a set of three.
geronimo
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 136 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 04:28 PM UTC
Hi Matt,

I think paras will be a good choice for the clothing, so you only have to change the helmets. I'll try them, too, if you don't mind me stealing your idea I'm not quite sure which color to choose for the helmets - standard field grey or "field modified" repainted navy grey ? Both is possible . What also comes to my mind are pilot figures. Some of them already wear their life jackets and the right clothing. They could be used to man the guns. If not in combat, German sailors favored the side cap to the traditional "Donald Duck cap".
Do you have information about Royal Navy uniform colors ? I ordered squadron/signals "Vosper MTBs in action", but still have to wait for it at least two weeks.

Ahoi & cheers

Frank
 _GOTOTOP