_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/72 U-Boat builders - a question
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 379 posts
Model Shipwrights: 43 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 07:08 AM UTC
I've read some reviews in FSM and on the net, but I 'm directing this question to builders of the Revell 1/72 U-Boat.
Originally I wasn't too jazzed up about the model when it came out. I had picked up a Revell Gato class and wanted to build a WWII US submarine.
BUT, last Saturday I sat down and watched the director's cut of Das Boot, and now I'm hooked....
How good is the model out of the box?
How much ootb cleaning up is there?
This is a subjective question, but how needed is the PE set?
Are there any other aftermarket parts other than the PE set?
Any other advice, tips, build-up reviews or things to watch out for, etc. is most appreciated.

As I mentioned, I've read some reviews from a few sources, but I usually get the best advice/tips here on Armorama from the members.

Thanks!
Peter
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,305 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 07:26 AM UTC
Ciao sphyrna,
Are you talking about the most recent review in FSM? I read that one, also. I have been informed that this particular one is good but somewhat soft on details (perhaps so you will have to buy the aftermarket stuff.)
Ciao for now
Rob
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2004 - 11:27 AM UTC
It will build up into a fine OOB model with a little effort. The only thing I would try and replace are the props and use something other than the supplied thread to do the rigging.
wolfpack6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 38 posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2004 - 12:01 PM UTC
I have built this Monster, all the Plastick was soft and it came to me broken.
There are figures out there to help, but the plastic really needs help.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 05:54 PM UTC
I have heard nothing but good on this kit. I think from what I have seen that quite an excellent model can be built OOB. I've seen the PE sets for it and honestly don't feel that the price of the White Ensign models kit would justify what it does. The other set is far superior, but to get benefit from it you have to cut out some and open up all those little holes in the kit. I know someone makes a white metal set of gun barrels and periscopes for it, and a company called Nautilas has a wood plank set for it if you want to go that route.
 _GOTOTOP