_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Accurizing the Tamiya Bismarck
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 09:15 PM UTC
Hi! As for my first ship, I'll try to build the Tamiya 1/350 Bismarck. Since the Eduard PE set is quite expensive to me, I'll try to scratchbuild my parts. Anyone got articles or know anything on how to accurize the kit? I'm using the Eduard PE Set Instruction sheet as reference for my kit.

Thanks!
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 - 10:02 PM UTC
Hi Ralph, Here is a site that I used for a good reference. http://www.fineartmodels.com/e/model/ships/bismarck/default.asp Check out there many pic's of there Battleship Bismarck. There name says it all, Fine arts!

HTH,

Garry
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 04:46 AM UTC
Tom's and Gold medal Models both make great PE sets for this kit. If anything, buy a 350 scale PE railings set. To me, the main thing I do to my 350 scale ships is add the railing and replace the cranes and gun shields on the small antiaircraft guns Oh and the radars if the brass one isn't in a dozen parts (like on the Missouri). Scratchbuilding those parts using stretched sprue can be done, but man the difficulty and time...

Took a gander at those pics of the fine model stuff. If I had the $ I would unquestionably buy this beauty. I believe it is an object di art..not a kit Cost was $10,500
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 01:17 PM UTC
Whohoohoo!!! What a beauty! Thanks for the pics!
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Model Shipwrights: 22 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 09:04 PM UTC
My boss's website, http://www.modelwarships.com has several good articles on building up the various Bismark's out there.

Rob
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 11:31 PM UTC
Here is a good site with line drawings of the Bismarck, plus great info about the ship. This link will go directly to the line drawings, you can just go to the home page from there. http://www.kbismarck.com/perfili.html Note the famous black and white diagonal lines were painted out prior to the Bismarck's last sortie, so if you're going to model her for her last battle leave those off.

garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 12:07 PM UTC
Here is a little more help for those wanting to build the DKM Bismarck as it was at the time of its sinking. As halfyank had mentioned, The black and white striped camo scheme was painted over prior to its last cruise. This was done in a haisty mannor as time was short. The stripes were still visable under the new thin coat of paint. The false bow wake was left on . Also the red boarder around the swasticas on the bow and stearn were painted the gray hull color also.
Here is a picture of my Bismarck and Prinz Eugen at the time of Bismarcks sinking. You will notice that the Prinz Eugen had its camo painted over in a simler manor as the Bismarck. They were in all accounts running for there lives! And were trying to not look like there selves. Here is the pic!

These are 1/700 kits. The Bismarck is by Aoshima And the Prinz Eugen is by Tamiya.

HTH,

Garry
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 03:37 AM UTC
Is it just me or there ain't a decal for this kit? :-)
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 03:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it just me or there ain't a decal for this kit? :-)

Its not just you Ralph, Tamiya dont pass out swastikas. on my Bismarck I had to use some dry transfer decals I had. Go figure!

Garry
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 06:31 AM UTC
I got my decals from a 48th scale airplane kit. Now I have to find a round circle. Probably use a bottle cap elmer glued to deck and then spray the red. I'm going with the Enter the Norwejian fjord paint scheme
 _GOTOTOP