_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Cargo nets II
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 02:34 AM UTC
Hi guys

I hope you can help this land lover. I'm building a GMC DUKW. For those who are not familiar with it, it's a vehicle that is part truck part boat, [ sorry don't know how to spell amphibui,,,,
I need a cargo net for the load. I was woundering / hoping that someone over here might know of something that can be used. I read the article in FSM on making a net but I must be slow because after reading it three times I'm still clueless on how the author did it So I hope you guys can help this poor simple minded land lover [ I Sink like a rock .

Thanks in advance
Wolfsix
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 513 posts
Model Shipwrights: 17 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 03:07 AM UTC
Just an idea, I don't know if it will work, could you use the fine string netting a butcher uses to hold a joint of beef in shape? Might be worth asking.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 06:12 AM UTC
excellent suggestion winchweight. That may be way out of scale. It would depend on how flexible you want or need it to be. I am also assuming you are building the Italerie 35th scale version. Use either thread or streched sprue and lay out your pattern. You might find some 'Skinny string" which woud be more to scale. Use superglue let dry bend to shape around load and glue into place. No aftermarket that I 'm familiar with, though Verlinden does have a DUKW load kit which may include cargo net.
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 07:43 AM UTC
Hi all

Thanks guys for getting back to me. Blaster, this sounds like an idea that just might work. You are right about the kit, it is the Italerie one. The net will be in the vehicle covering part of a load as the vehicle is being unloaded.

Thanks for the ideas guys
Wolfsix
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Model Shipwrights: 85 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 10:02 AM UTC
By the way, Harry, you're not the only one! I, too, could not make heads nor tails of that FSM article... Gave me a headache trying to figure it out!

Just commisserating! I wish there was an easier way for us algebra-challanged folks out here!

Hang in there!

Aloha,

Johnny B
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 03:17 PM UTC
Here is an idea gents! Go to your local Art & Craft shop, They should have all kinds and sizes of netting they use in flower arrangements and Deco stuff. Could be worth a look!

HTH,

Garry
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Model Shipwrights: 27 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 04:15 PM UTC
Fish net pantyhose...yes sir. My wife had a pair and i snagged them up. That was back when we were young Anyhow they work great and their cheep. One draw back is that they come in balck and white. But with anything else..you'll have to paint just the same. One good thing is that being elastic, it'll snug down.
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 06:10 PM UTC
What about wedding veil or something like that. I'd go with Garry's suggestion and try the craft stores. Would first-aid gauze be in scale maybe? Let me know of you need the wedding veil...I have lots left over from my daughters wedding last year. Let us know what you decide to go with. I'd be interested in knowing.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 08:32 AM UTC
The thread with the question was started in Sept.....6 months ago. I would imagine he's long since finished the kit, however, others looking to do cargo netting now have some other excellent choices of material
SGTROCK
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 09:17 AM UTC
What about using a piece of bandage (gauze) and then pull the layers apart.
 _GOTOTOP