_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
LCM-3 Construction
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Model Shipwrights: 21 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 08:16 PM UTC
Good Morning All,

I started building her this morning, and like I said she's impressive. The hull has a large raised pin from molding at the beginning of the "tunnel" between the two props which you have to remove, fortunately it's not difficult to get rid of. So far the overall fit is excellent, there is also a bit of flash to be cleaned up in the openings for the prop shafts. Also when removing part 12D frm the sprue be VERY careful as it's somewhat delicate (I broke 1 of mine, but it was also an easy fix). There are also plenty of mold seams to scrape, but nothing you don't encounter with any other armor kit just pour yourself your favorite beverage and put some tunes on and enjoy.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2004 - 07:24 AM UTC
Is this the Italeri kit?
white4doc
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 07:55 PM UTC
This is the Italieri kit. I have also encountered VERY delicate fittings that keep the "cable" along the gunwales, they break if you look at them 'cross-eyed', a minor exaggeration, you have to have a delicate touch with them or replace them with bent wire (which I will do when I build another of these). The fit is still outstanding and I haven't encountered any major problems.
TreeCat
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 187 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 05:42 AM UTC
I started building the trumpter kit myself recently the fit is nowhere near what I would expect considering the price there's going to be a lot of squadron green used on this puppy. I put a Sherman upper hull into the cargo bay it fits I want to use it in a diorama with an LCVP but we will see.

I expected better
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 12:55 AM UTC
so with the reviews in, for once it looks like an Italarie kit wins. I think the last time it was over the Leopolds and Trumpeter faired better. This is on my "in the future to get" kit list. I've got an Lindberg LCVP I'm sitting on so a potential diorama here...oh yea and my DUcW....really big diorama here may as well throw in the Sherman as well.
white4doc
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 03:21 AM UTC
Good Afternoon, All

I've uploaded to my user gallery several in progress photos of the Italieri LCM3 which I'm in the process of building. Comments are of course welcome. Someday I'm going to have to learn to add the pics to my posts...
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 03:38 AM UTC
Thanks for the pics John. It looks impressive. Another "must have" for my stash.
Keep the pics comming.
Chuck
white4doc
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 06:59 AM UTC
Thanks to LogansDad I learned how to display the pics in the post. So for your viewing pleasure (I hope!) here they are. Comments are as always welcome and appreciated.

[IMG]modules/photopost/data/500/3376LCM3a.jpg [/IMG]
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 08:01 AM UTC
Looks good so far, but I really don't think they would stow 55 gals drums on deck with such a large cargo hold.....
nor would they carry extra fuel since they had a mother ship to refuel from when needed.
white4doc
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 06:31 PM UTC
I'm not sure what was up with the 55 gallon drums, they're listed as "alternatve" in the instructions and are supposed to be lashed on... I'm not planning on putting them on the deck, didn't make sense to me either, I forgot to take them off when I shot the pics.
 _GOTOTOP