_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Looking For An AKA- any kits out there?
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
Model Shipwrights: 17 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 02:45 AM UTC
Yaaahhhrrr! Ahoy me Mateys!
~~~***kof,koff**
Sorry, not sure why that always happens when I come into the Warships forum...

ANYWAY...as the thread title suggests, I'm looking for a model kit of the assault cargo amphibian of WWII vintage. I imagine an LKA would serve, would take some bashing but better than a straightup scratch. I've been searching but the only thing I've turned up is a $1,500 ready-made from Silent Thunder. Ummmmm...not quite in the budget.
Scale not important. This is the ship (AKA-18 USS Cepheus) my Dad served on from '44-45. He's getting on in years & I was hoping to build one for him to show my appreciation of his service.
Thanks for any & all info.
Cheers
RobH
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 12:16 AM UTC
Isn't that recently re-released USS Montrose / USS Randall an AKA. It is somewhere btwn 375 and 400 scale with about a 3/4 hull (not full and more than waterline). Check it out on ebay. I know either Great Models or Roll carries it.
LogansDad
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 12:48 AM UTC
Thanks Steve! The silence was beginning to get deafening.
HMMM... don't see Montrose Or Randall lsited as AKAs on the HazeGray list, but I'll definitely check Great & Roll websites.
Thanks for your time!
RobH
LogansDad
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 10:14 PM UTC
Steve, thanks again for the tip. The Montrose/Randall kit is actually an APA(Assault Personnell Amphibian) rather than the AKA (Assault Cargo Amphibian).
Checking the stats on HazeGray, it seems that the Length is only 4' off (1:1) and the beam is only 1' off. Negligible difference in 1:375. Superstructures, while not Identical are similar enough to (relatively) easily facilitate a bash. the major differences appear to be in armament (8 fewer 20mm singles on the APA) and assault craft(6 fewer LCM's, 3fewer LCVP's, and 3 LCPU's vs 1 LCP(L) on the AKA). Guess I'll have to look up the differences btwn the LCPU & the LCP(L).
I've also located a site with a scratchbuilt 1:96 R/C combat Artemis, lot's of good info on his scratchbuild of this sistership: http://www.battlestations.org/clubs/nzbg/ussartemismodel.htm
Couldn't find the Montrose kit on either Roll Or Great Models, but did find one on ehobbies: http://www.ehobbies.com/rvl05018.html
Any experience with these guys? Also, is 17.00USD a good price for a Revell Germany 1:375 kit?
Sorry, folks, I realize this is a lot of Rambling & questions, but this is one I'd really like to do up right.
Any & all comments & suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
RobH
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2004 - 01:19 AM UTC
I was pleased with the service etc from Hobby Easy. Pricing is wonderful, they charge shipping based on weigth rather than set fees, so you may save on the kit and lose it in a heavy shippin cost. I just ordered 4 different gun tubes from them and only paid $2 shipping. Got the ccomplete order in a fairly quick time frame. Before you order, haunt ebay for a while, check with other mail order places like Squadron or Trident. The kit has only been out 4 - 5 months so it ain't rare.........yet
LogansDad
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2004 - 02:55 AM UTC
Thanks again for the input Steve. I've deciced to go with the APA & bash it into a resonable Facsimile thereof. I am a leeetle bit nervous about the kit, as according to NavSource, the Randall is a different class & size than the Montrose... then again, they may be confusing beam with draft. Well, I'll keep you up on the details when it arrives.
Thanks again
RobH
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2004 - 04:15 AM UTC
Logansdad,
Was the AKA based on the Liberty ship design?
If so, Trumpeter have released the SS Jeremiah O'Brian Liberty ship in 1/350. It'll still need extra work, but the basics might still be there.
Tom
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2004 - 02:54 PM UTC
Unfortuneatly not, I already investigated that posibility
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 08, 2004 - 02:56 PM UTC
I found the kit on both Roll MOdels and Great Models for less than $15
LogansDad
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 01:42 AM UTC
Thanx Cat, Blaster. i must be a dope 'cause I couldn't find it on either site, & i tried twice...
Found it on HobbyEasy for 12.99USD, shipping only 2.87USD. Sweet. I let you know what it looks like when it gets here (next weekish).
RobH
 _GOTOTOP