_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Restarted my Yamato, progress pic's.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 12:50 PM UTC
After several months on the shelf gathering dust, I finely got the interest to restart my Tamiya 1/350 IJN Battleship Yamato. I have to add about half of the pe set to it yet, and that has been started. I am also working on the catapolts and aircraft crane. This should'nt take me to long to finish, now that my interest is back now! Here's the proress.

Feels good to be ship modeling again!
Please feel free to comment.

Cheers,

Garry
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 02:27 PM UTC
Hi Zguy!
My Yamato decks are painted plastic, light tan with a little burnt umber mixed in. Wood planking my decks? No way, several of my friends do that. And I cheer them on, but its just not for my fat fingers! If thats what you want to do to your Bismarck I encourage you.
I hope you get your Ship kit soon, them you can start having fun!

Regards,

Garry
Rattler
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 512 posts
Model Shipwrights: 11 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 03:34 PM UTC
good lookin battlewagon there Garry, I have the Enterprise an New Jersey.. the E is in progress as we speak.. bout had a cow when I saw all the PE for this monster.. least the NJ wasn't as bad lol but I still have a feeling I'll be going cross eye'd after folding,cutting and what not.... but great work on yours so far Garry.. look forward to seeing more shots of the work

Zguy, hats off to you mate for going the distance of actually putting down basswood planking.. can't wait to see photo's of that . please keep us posted.

Chris
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 09:50 PM UTC
Looks like you dida stellar job of hiding the joint btwn the deck joining. Had did you pull that off? I did ok with mine, but it is still noticable..in fact I have yet to achieve a seamless one.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 01:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like you dida stellar job of hiding the joint btwn the deck joining. Had did you pull that off? I did ok with mine, but it is still noticable..in fact I have yet to achieve a seamless one.

Howdy Steve!
The joint seam is there, it just dont show up in the picture. I tried to hide it the best I could, but its like you said, its an impossible task with out wiping out all the detail. So anymore I just dont worry about it. I just consintrate on the rest of the model.

Cheers

Garry
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2004 - 06:33 AM UTC
Building the kit itself is not all that challenging. Those Tamiya ships just go together like a hand in a glove. I'ld practice with the wood however. Get a piece of sheet styrene and work on it a bit until you get what you want. Figure out the length of the strips you want and MASS PRODUCE them, then cut them to shape as you need when installing....kinda like laying out a floor in real life.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2004 - 06:39 AM UTC
As to deck joining, I read something that I'm going to try with my Enterprise (this technique will probably only work with carrier decks. Assemble and glue them upside down put on a flat surface and put some weight on them (books) After a day or so flip it over and the seams should be tiny and fairly level thus easier to fill in with a liquid seam filler like Mr Surfacer rather than tons of putty and trying to level things out.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2004 - 06:59 AM UTC
Do you cut individual planks for the deck .
Or do you use a sheet of wood and scribe the planks in?
Hat's of to you people working with 1:350 PE

Cheers
Henk
 _GOTOTOP