_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
No Campaigns?
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2004 - 04:23 PM UTC
You can all tell me to get lost if you'd like, but I noticed there are no active campaigns for the old salts. Any particular reason? Just wondering...

As a suggestion, what about a campaign that calls for sea going vessels that are commercial in nature? Any era or type, just not a warship...or would that be out of line considering this the "Warship" forum?

I haven't a clue how to go about getting one of these together really and I certainly have no idea about how to go about giving out awards....I'm just throwing out the idea....not even sure I have the right or "time in service" to suggest this...

I'm thinking it could wait until after the first of the year to start since there are a number of campaigns already in the works and the holidays are coming up...

Just a thought........
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 02:45 AM UTC
Hy Darryl!!

You just kicked the ball - I have been thinking about proposing a Campaign, but was trying to make it right.
So far the ideas where (perhaps someone also agree with them):
- Submarines - the weapon that changed the scale plates.
- Auxiliary Vessels - from Tugs to Liberty Ships.
- Gone with the Wind - more than two milleniums of available subjects to be made.
- The Glamorous Liners - any liner, any scale, any era.

These where the ideas that I was cooking, but since I'm not alone anymore, maybe they will have "sails to sail"

any of the Moderators agree?

Skipper
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 03:48 AM UTC
Howdy Darrryl !
I have been giving this some thought also. The last Campaign we had for warships was the Unsung sisters build. Which was a flop! The modelers that finished the campaign never did get any recignition and it was forgotton about. But anyway, it is time for a Warships Campaign. I see there are several new members that are ship builders now and the timing seems right to pull together for a Campaign.
Your idea of building all non military ships of the WW-2 period is good, but I think the lack of model kits to build these would hamper the campaign. There are very few kits out there of this type.
Skipper mentioned Submarines, I'm not a Sub builder, but I do have one in my stash . And I would be willing to go this route! It is a WW-2 US sub, Lionfish I think?
May I also throw out my idea here, I was thinking of a campaign for German warships of WW-2. Maybe called the - DKM of WW-2 , Any warship used by the Deutch Kregsmarine durring the war. In any scale.
But then again, I'm open for idea's!

Regards,

Garry
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 513 posts
Model Shipwrights: 17 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 05:04 AM UTC
I'm not a salty builder but have been considering building HMS Hood. How about a "Sink the Bismark" campaign, featuring anything (ships, planes etc) used in the eventual destruction of the Bismark. It may include builders of those wingy things as well. Or maybe an assault ship campaign so I can build HMS Fearless? Just some ideas.

11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 07:18 AM UTC
I love the ideas guys (gals), but my idea of doing commercial vessels wasn't intended to be just those from the WWII era, unless of course that's what the majority want. It does sound as if evryone wants to stick to a war type vessel of some sort. Personally, I really like the Auxillary vessel idea (ore boats, fishing trawlers, tugs, etc.) and/or the luxury liner idea, but heck I'm pretty easy.

Again, my only stipulation is that it not start for awhile(maybe a late winter/early spring build), as I have a million things on my plate as it is and I'm also participating in, and committed to the "Up Front" campaign.

I'd be happy to get this thing into the proposal phase as long as I can get some help if needed and I know I'd need help getting an award (ribbon?) together and posted to those who complete the campaign, which I already have an idea or two for, depending on what is decided as a topic. Let's keep brainstorming and I'm sure we can get something together if there is enough interest. Thanks for the input...
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 10:27 AM UTC
I'll cast my vote for a sub campaign. I've got that magnificent 72nd Revell kit. I've drilled out some of the drain holes (that's another story but thanks to Grumpyoldman will have a happy ending). But lord I'm in the middle of building my 113 for the "Bucket" campaign and have an M-46 waiting for inclusion in the Remeber KOrea" I'll be tied up until January Sorry, I won't particiapte in a commercial build or sailing just don't have a big interest. Now an auxillary....that Trumpeter Liberty ship is on my desire list. I do have a 350 scale Bismarck and all my material gathered to build it so a "Bismarck" or a DKM campaign would get me to paticipate
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,055 posts
Model Shipwrights: 30 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 02:59 PM UTC
How about a PT/E-Boat/S-Boat, basically a small craft campaign. Or maybe a Sailing-Only campaign. Or an Ironclad campaign. Anything is possible! All you have to do is pick up a random history book. Thanks for your time.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 03:23 PM UTC
Howdy fellas,

As our good 'conscience' Sabot has accurately pointed out, and as my pal garrybeebe has so gently phrased 'around'....there was indeed a couple of Ship based Campaign/Group Build's begun some time ago. And I was the 'fired-up' purveyour of at least 1 of those excitement exercises. And, as the loud voice originally associated with that effort, I am as equally associated with the failure of that effort to 'blossom'.
My sincere apologies to all who invested their time and talent to that noble cause. You were indeed carrying the torch for both myself.....and all of the other devoted participants who lent their talent to the effort.
And, just so the masses are aware. Our good member garrybeebe was one of the strongest supporters of those efforts! He is a bloody good mate to have around....and loves to talk about 'salty' matters .....sincerely.

So....if there is any blame to be potentially 'thrown' around about not following thru with a 'sea-bourne' build.....I will volunteer my mantle to lay it upon.......

My very best wishes to all of you who have certainly more courage than I when it comes to matters of the 'wet' kind, and, to raise the guidon of the Warship side of the site.

Tread.

Although.........I really DO miss those Warship discussions we used to have garry......... ;-)
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 03:28 PM UTC
The Move it Campaign in armor offered a place also for cargo and troop ships as well as cargo planes but no one entered it.

It is still ongoing and if people want to join with a ship or landing craft you would be welcome
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 04:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Move it Campaign in armor offered a place also for cargo and troop ships as well as cargo planes but no one entered it.

It is still ongoing and if people want to join with a ship or landing craft you would be welcome

Hey Cliff,
Thanks for bringing that up! Ok you guys who like to build these kind of ships, here's your chance!
You know if there is enough modelers interested, there can be more then one ship campaign. Lets say one for subs and one for German warships. They could be split up, one starting right away and the other starting in late winter or spring. We are open for Idea's!

Cheers,

Garry
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 05:33 PM UTC
It appears there is real interest in a campaign related to subs. I've never built one, but I sure think it would be cool...

We could save the Commercial vessels, Liberty Ships, Liners and the like for another time or another campaign....

If we did a sub campaign maybe the award could be the "Dolphin" insignia or something similar...I really like the idea of opening it up to any and all subs....actual or fictional...

As was already suggested, we could call it "Under the Sea" or Hunters of the Deep, Silent Runners, or some other catchy title...keep the ideas coming guys. It sounds like the juices are flowing a bit...
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 142 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 08:51 PM UTC
A sub campaign sounds cool, sign me in!!!
But we have to take in consideration to give it a good period before the deadline, because I don't think those 1/72 revell subs are finished quickly...
and would one be allowed to enter his build without a diorama being build around it? (it would take a lot of plaster to make water around that sub...)
Or , in the case of a campaign for other warships, maybe we can try to build a campaign around any action a crew onboard one of those vessels could carry out while at sea, maybe a search and rescue or a ressuplying by an other vessel or in port, or just general repainting or cleaning?
(although I'm affraid that is almost impossible to build in 1/700)
Or my favorite :storm at sea.... let's see those battleships take on the waves.... and we could call it "battle of the waves" or something?
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 11:56 PM UTC
Well... I couldn't be more pleased!!

I will participate in the Sub Campaign gladly
I am now in the "Quiet Professionals" Campaign with a David Bushnell Turtle; in the "Seeing RED" Campaign with a Russian Sub.

But it would be extremely nice to see a Campaign Full of Subs!!
Count me in!!

Skipper
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 10:18 AM UTC
Well guys, After some thought and input from you all, I'm thinking we ought to go with the sub campaign initially. It would be a great way for me to get into more "salty "builds...

I'd be happy to do the proposal toward the end of December (unless it's better to do it now), and if approved, I think I'd look for a start date toward the end of January 2005 and a completion date of late April. That would give us all time to finish up present campaigns and time to prepare for this one. Does that sound like a viable plan to everyone?

I'm thinking any sub, actual or fictional, in any scale, and in any setting you would like. If you want to place it in a diorama great, if not, that''s okay also...

I'd still like suggestions for the campaign name, the time frame preferred, and what the award should be.

Thanks for the interest thusfar...
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 12:46 PM UTC
Ok Darryl ! I'm all for the Submarine campaign.
What do ya say guys? Do you want to make this a big success? one for the floaty side of Armorama ?
Then step upto the plate and get your feet wet!

Cheers mates!

Garry
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2004 - 06:49 PM UTC
You know I'm in as the bozo who pushed for it. Besides, if I run into a problem with the giant version, I still have the 350 scale type XXI and a couple of those 400 scale Polish made VII's and IX's left. I will opt for an allowance to finish my drill out though. That is extremely time consumig and I promise to limit assembly to no more than replacing just the cut out areas in the hull with their brass replacement pieces. I may end up getting the pressure hull pieces or semi-scratch them which is why I may need to finish this drill out stage.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 - 01:00 AM UTC
Just the campaign name missing...
How about:
"Underwater Warriors", after the name of the book by Paul Kemp, or just "Submarines"?

Startint the Campaign in December is ok by me!!
Tahnks to all for the enthusiasm,

Skipper
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 - 02:09 AM UTC
Guys
Here's a campaign that some of you may be interested in

Red Cross Campaign

Pete
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 - 03:58 AM UTC
Good day Darryl !
Some campaign thoughts. First off, may I suggest a name? Since this is going to be a open Submarine build, as far as scale and choice of subject. How about the title: Submarines around the world.

Now if you want to take the bull by the horns for this proposed campaign, I suggest starting by going to the Campaign page and reading about how to submit a campaign proposel. this will give you all the guidlines about campaigns and what info you need to get started.

And please, I dont want you to feel alone in this! I will give you all the help I can, as I sure others here will also. After all, thats what its all about here at Armorama. We are all team players, working together to enjoy this great hobby!

So dont hesitate to ask for help, just give a yell.

Cheers,

Garry
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 - 06:16 AM UTC
Maj. Rob- How about taking your idea a step further & going with something along the lines of:
"Octopus' Garden"
or
"We all live in a..."
:-)

As far as commecial submersibles, I think Monsters in motion carry the 'Flying Sub', which was really just a tricked up version of Mssr. Costeau's 'Aquasaucer'...
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 - 08:35 AM UTC
I really love all the encouragement guys! All the names being suggested makes it difficult to actually choose one. Maybe I'll put that up a vote once I compile all the choices.

Since I don't have a sub in my "stash" I'm taking suggestions, other than the new Revell kit. I don't think that should be my first sub...

I'll give the campaign rules another look-see and get that together in the not too distant future...

Thanks again guys for all the enthusiasm...
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,055 posts
Model Shipwrights: 30 posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 - 09:49 AM UTC
If this sub campaign goes through, I call the "Operation Petticoat" Sub! I hope this goes through! Thanks for your time.
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 07:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My apologies, I withdraw my suggestion.

Apologies, Maj. Rob? Whatever for? I liked your suggestion. I was simply adding some more ideas, based on lyrics, as the Beatle's "Octopus' Garden" was the first thing I thought when I read "Under the sea"...
My apologies if I offended You, sir.
p.s.- the Monsters in Motion tip was for you, Maj. Rob.
Cougar
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 266 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 10:22 AM UTC
A Sub Camapign sounds like a good idea

How about "Run Silent, Run Deep" as the Campaign name?

Does anybody know of any reasonable sub kits besides the Revell U-Boat?

Cougar
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 10:28 AM UTC
Hi Cougar!
Yes there's several models that are a good value for the money

If you'll go to the Post on the Submarine Campaignin the warship area, you can read my coments on this issue

Best regards,

Skipper
 _GOTOTOP