_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Recruiting for a Submarine Campaign !
Valkyrie04
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 7 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 08:16 AM UTC
Skipper pointed out to me this sub campaign. Count me in.

Working on a Revell USS Lionfish into a Tench Class USS Diablo/PNS Ghazi.
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 03:09 PM UTC
Skipper,

I checked Nautilus Models...can you advise which of the four Conning towers I should choose, assuming I'm actually building the Lionfish?
I plan on getting the PE set as well...would that be enough to remedy most of the kits (Revell)conning tower inaccuracies, or does it merely compliment the resin tower(s)?

Thanks!

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 09:43 PM UTC
Ayyyy Matey, I'll come aboard!! Great Idea for a future campaign, sirs...My wife loves submarines, maybe this build will finally convince her to jump into this wonderful hobby that we all share! Sign me(and maybe her as well) up!

Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 10:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Skipper,

I checked Nautilus Models...can you advise which of the four Conning towers I should choose, assuming I'm actually building the Lionfish?
I plan on getting the PE set as well...would that be enough to remedy most of the kits (Revell)conning tower inaccuracies, or does it merely compliment the resin tower(s)?

Thanks!

Good Morning Darryl,

You just have to choose which sub in which period you are going to build!
For instance, the last CT of Nautilus Models is good if you want to build a USS Gato from the beggining of the war... The other CT's are for diiferent periods, with updated armament and other configurations!
The PE set is a nice add-on for the CT as well as for other hull parts (PE handrails) antenas and so on!

I mentioned to Valkyrie on the post "need help" that the flooding holes in the hull (if you really want to make an accurate sub) are diffrent from the Revell model...
Differences are severall - from the number of holes, their form (square, rouded or a mix) depending on the Yard where they were build!
A good internet search for pics of the specific boat you want to build or a ask for help here, in the forum may solve the question!!

This is my USS Bluefish, with Nautilus Models bluefish CT and PE - although the picture is that good, I can tell you that the only thinsg I didi to the hull was remaking the limber holes and adding a scratch part to the bow planes...

Choose your boat and dive

Also a good source for accurate painting schemes is:
http://www.shipcamouflage.com/submarines.htm

They are the guys!!

Best regards (to all),

Skipper

11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2004 - 03:17 AM UTC
Thanks Skipper. Now, which to build....hmmmm....
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2004 - 03:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ayyyy Matey, I'll come aboard!! Great Idea for a future campaign, sirs...My wife loves submarines, maybe this build will finally convince her to jump into this wonderful hobby that we all share! Sign me(and maybe her as well) up!

Gunny

Welcome aboard Gunny(and maybe Mrs. Gunny!) Glad to have you on the salty side of Armorama. This is getting exiting! This could turn out to be the Incoming of the warships campaigns. Let your wife know that we are looking forward to having her join in on the fun!
Now lets keep inviting modelers to join up for there navy tour of duty!

Cheers Matey!

Garry
Tiger101
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 902 posts
Model Shipwrights: 105 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2004 - 03:47 PM UTC
Count Me in. I'll have to go shopping for a sub but I want one for my display case anyway.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 04:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Count Me in. I'll have to go shopping for a sub but I want one for my display case anyway.

Thats the spirit, welcome aboard Scott!
Glad to have you with us. If aprooved, we start on December 15th. I cant wait to get started, this is going to be a fun , as well as a learning campaign.
once again welcome aboard!

Garry
Tiger101
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 902 posts
Model Shipwrights: 105 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 05:32 PM UTC
Thanks Garry, I will be asking for all sorts of help. My reference material for subs is limited. Now to get out and find one. Choices Choices Choices. Off to the LHS I go.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, November 08, 2004 - 04:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Garry, I will be asking for all sorts of help. My reference material for subs is limited. Now to get out and find one. Choices Choices Choices. Off to the LHS I go.

Good morning Scott!
Well I have been modeling warships for the last 10 years heavely. But I never have built a Submarine! I have had these two sub kits in my stash for 3 or 4 years now. It just took the right insentive to get me interested, and this campaign idea did that! LOL!
So a lot of us will be starting off on new ground. But thats the fun part of a campaign, all the members putting there heads together to help each other out! And thats what I ment when I said this will be a learning exprience. Hope you find a dandy kit to build!

Garry
 _GOTOTOP