_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
USS Los Angeles Conversion
SSN693
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 02:36 PM UTC
Here is a good picture of USS Greenville in drydock. It will let you get a good view of 688 paint colors. [http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08772.htm]
I'm still oooking for a good stern plane shot of a 688.
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 04:02 PM UTC
SSN693,

Thanks again for all your help...I sent you a PM also...

I can't wait to get moving on this Sub!...still have a month to get all the info I can....gotta order the Hampton too!...
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2004 - 04:17 AM UTC
Ask and you shall receive. I've just posted some photos of the Hampton in dry dock in my gallery. There's a pretty good shot of the stern. There is also a shot of the prop, although until my son pointed it out, I didn't realize what I was looking at. I'd love to see another shot from a different angle.

Looking at the somewhat similar shot of the Greenville in SSN693's link, it appears that the bow planes are not visible. Do they retract into the hull??

You can also make out the additional planes astern on both sides for the countermeasures in the Greenville photos.

Tom Hathaway
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Posted: Friday, November 19, 2004 - 06:13 AM UTC
Thanks Tom,

I really appreciate the assistance...

SSN693 had some good photo references as well.

You guys are great!
SSN693
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 03:44 AM UTC
The Hampton is one of the newest 688 boats. Cincinnati had none of that extra stuff. To make an early 688, leave off the diagonal fairings. In the one picture, you see a pipe on the end of the starboard stern plane, that should be on the port stern plane. The starboard side would be flat. The towed array ran down the starboard side under the fairing, and made an "S" turn in the ballast tank to the port stern plane.

I believe that either the Key West or Pittsburgh were the first 688's with retractable bow planes. The early boats had sail planes. Bow planes work better, but are easily damaged, which is why they retract.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 20, 2004 - 09:38 AM UTC
SSN693,

I may say that your knowledge of the class in question is beeing most helpfull and it's "teasing" me on building my own Dragon USS Hampton, using your inputs....

The knowledge is a "terrible" motivation
Thank you for sharing it with us

Skipper
 _GOTOTOP