_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Fonderie Models LCVP
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Model Shipwrights: 27 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 03:01 AM UTC
Ola Swabbies

Question from an armor guy and I hope you guys can help me with some answers.
The Landings at the beaches of D-Day alway have intrigued me and this has even got stronger when reading D-Day by Stephen Ambrose. As I already said I am an Armor modeler but I really like those landingcrafts and Especially the Higgins boat which primarily was used as a multipurpose craft (as I read online) In first instance it was used for bringing troops to the beach and was loaded with wounded on the way back (correct me if I`m wrong.
Now I see firms like Trumpeter and Italeri coming out with LCM`s and I more or less understood that that was more a craft to transport vehicles (Landing Craft Mechanized).... I also found out that LCM is not the famous (infamous with the Infantry who got transported) so Called Higgins boat.
Did some more research... and I found out that the designation of the Higgins Boat is LCVP (Landing Craft Vehicle Personnel) and I found out that there was actually a company who sells this LCVP. This company is Fonderie Models.

Ok quite long story for an easy question. has anybody have experience with this kit? how does it built up and is it worth the money? I don`t care much for inaccuracies but if the fit is really bad or something like that then I don`t feel much to spend my money on it. Is there a crew I can use with this kit?

Every information is welcome.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 03:25 AM UTC
Hello Faust!

Nice introduction, but I have to had some info!
Higgins also produced LCM (3), as well as PT-Boats - these are Higgins boats also

Regarding the F.M. LCVP it is quite accurate, very well engeneered, altough difficult to built (in comparison with Trumpeter or Italeri LCM's).
It has white metal MG's.
The only problem that I find in it is the fact that, since F.M. is a cottage industry, the plastic is full of flash, making it a boring process to get it out of the short run sprues...
When you open the box, if you are a Tamiya Fan, you'll get shocked, but at a more calm look, you'll see that the detail is good and the possibilityes for that craft are almost unlimited!

The Crew, I bought a Verlinden set (don't recall the reference, but has three half bodyes with lifevest and a full figurine) - I bought this for the Lindberg PT-Boat.
But as you can see by Andy Wright's Article on his scratchbuild LCM (6), crew members for this babyes are desperatly needed....
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/101

I have one in my box pile, as well as a Lindberg LCVP, Trumpeter LCM and Italeri LCM, for that "Landing Craft Fury" that will attack one of those years

Hope this helped....

Skipper

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 11:16 AM UTC
If you look around there is also a Lindberg LCVP kit out there which ain't too bad and at less than half the price. Think it also throws in a few figures. I've got one but haven't eve split the shrink wrap on it so I can't attest to high quality.
highway70
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 06:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you look around there is also a Lindberg LCVP kit out there which ain't too bad and at less than half the price. Think it also throws in a few figures. I've got one but haven't eve split the shrink wrap on it so I can't attest to high quality.

I have both kits although I have not built either. The Lindberg is marked 1/32 scale and the Fonderie Models kit 1/35, but the models are almost identical in all major dimensions. Many of the add on detiails (like the machine guns) on the Lindberg kit are crude, but easily replaced. It appears to me either kit could be made into a nice model.
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Model Shipwrights: 85 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 08:56 PM UTC
As to the FM LCVP,

A buddy of mine showed it to me in the box --- there was a ridiculous amount of flash present, particularly for the money he paid for the kit (not cheap). Aforementioned buddy, though not prone to violence, became so disgusted with the Fonderie kit's shortcomings that he smashed it against the wall.

He is just finishing up the Lindberg LCVP and is now a much happier individual.

Personally, if I saw the Fonderie kit for under $30.00 I might consider buying it --- but I've got my eyes open for the Lindberg kit, which, even though it is 1/32, sounds easier to work with...

And who knows, maybe with the success of the Trump and Ital LCM kits (I own the Italeri kit, which I am starting in on painting), that either company will release a decent, affordable injection-molded LCVP!

Hope this helps!

Aloha,

Johnny B
TreeCat
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 187 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, November 29, 2004 - 12:26 PM UTC
got to agree the FM kit is not so good the LCVP could carry a jeep but that was about it. the troops in thte Lindenberg kit are a joke ( toy like would be a nicer word ) but the boat is good. Testor once made a frog man ( UDT ) kit with a raft if youve ever seen "the Duke"
in this movie it would make a cool diorama.
 _GOTOTOP