_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/350 Gun Questions
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 12:24 PM UTC
Like just about everybody else I've got about a half a dozen kits in the que, and two of them are the Tamiya 1/350 Missouri and the Fletcher class DD. In hunting around for just the right PE, etc accessories for these kits, I found the Corsair Armada 5" DP Singles which I've decided to order for the Fletcher. The photos and review indicate they should be fantastic.

I also found that L'Arsenal has listed a 5" twin, which I thought I might try for the Missouri kit. I already have their quad 40mms and was impressed with those.

Does anybody have any thoughts or experience with the 5" twins?

The other question is about using the brass barrels that L'Arsenal makes. They make 5"/38 Cal brass barrels and I wondered if they're worth the expense. And if they are, how about for the 16" guns? Does anybody make those?

Any thoughts?

Tom Hathaway
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2004 - 02:40 AM UTC
That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of using tubing from the LHS for the larger guns. It won't be too hard to figure out what the scale diameters are, finding the right sizes will be the trick.

You got me thinking. As far as getting a smaller tube to stay inside the larger one, I think the best way is to put whatever adhesive I'm using on the end of the tube that will be on the inside of the larger one, and rather than insert that end ("pushing" it in), what I think I'll do is feed the OTHER end in from the back and "pull" it through. That should avoid the mess of glue around the opening. I'll probably leave the "front" end a bit long and then cut to length after it sets.

Thanks for the great idea! I'll let you know how it works.

Tom
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
Model Shipwrights: 292 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 12:38 AM UTC
The only trouble with using tubing is that real naval gun barrels are tapered, and even in 1/350 scale the taper is noticeable. Your tubing is going to have the same outside diameter from end to end. Further, some of the larger main battery rifles had flared ends, again hard to duplicate with straight tubing.

The mounts and barrels from Corsair Armada and L'Arsenal are excellent--we sell a lot of them.

Cheers,
John Snyder
White Ensign Models
http://WhiteEnsignModels.com
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 08:48 AM UTC
Go to the modelarship web site. There is a guy named Steve Nuttal that makes 350 scale guntube sets for all the Tamiya batleships. I think the tubes run 4 or 5 dollars apece. I have seen photos of his work. You won't be disappointed
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2004 - 07:28 AM UTC
John, thanks for the note. I just sent you guys another order for some L'Arsenal accessories, and the Corsair 5" Single Mounts. I was very happy with the service from you guys on my last order and I'm very much looking forward to my next delivery. BTW, I just sent a note to WEM's website on a correction to that order, (wrong selection on the Mk 37s). Hope it's not to late to fix it.

If you reckon the 5" Dual Mounts are a good kit, I'll probably order a couple of sets for my Missouri.

Steve, thanks for the tip on the barrels. It's crazy that we'd consider spending WAY more on details and accessories than the base cost of the kit!! But when you figure out how many hours of enjoyment and how it makes the model appear, it's worth it.

I'll probably not start either of this kits until after I finish my Hummer and the D3 campaign. I'll provide updates as I go.

Tom Hathaway

(Rah Virginia Mil)

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2004 - 12:25 PM UTC
Glad as ever to help Tom...notice I mispelled the site...it is Modelwarships.com. I think you can do their eqivilent to our personal messages, if not then just post a need to place an order / or want to talk to you posting in their forum

Man we sure had a bad year in football.........poor rats 0-11 at least we won 2 games my rat year
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
Model Shipwrights: 292 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 07:59 AM UTC
Tom,

We got your order correction and Caroline's handled it. The L'Arsenal 5" twin mounts are superb--the masters were made by Pierre Marchal for his scratchbuilt 1/350 MISSOURI.

Cheers,
John Snyder
White Ensign Models
http://WhiteEnsignModels.com
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 10:58 AM UTC
John, thanks for the assist. Caroline sent me a note this morning and I'm all set! I will probably be sending an order a bit later for the twin mounts. I'm also thinking I'll go for the L'Arsenal 5" barrels.

Steve, I'm really impressed with the 16" barrels that are advertised on the site you mentioned. They are a bit pricey, but I've got to believe they will really dress up the model (once I finally decide to start to work in it!). I'll probably compromise on the 5" due to the size and relative cost. (AND counting my Fletcher, I'd need 25!!)

TWO WHOLE GAMES??? We only won 3 during my whole cadetship!!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 11:54 AM UTC

My second class year we went 7 - 4 winning the Southern conference. I think we won 4 games my first class year. But in basketball we went to the big dance and almost made it into the final 4 just losing out to Rutgers.....Indiana kicked everbody's rump that year to win it all. The year after I graduated the BB team made it to the sweet 16 losing to Kentucky who ended up losing the championship to someone.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 04:53 AM UTC
I was assigned to the 8th ID in Baumholder, Germany while that was going on. Pretty exciting when your small school goes that deep into the tournament, which is a big part of the attraction I think.

BTW, did you see we now have a HOCKEY team!!

TC
 _GOTOTOP