_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
First review of Trumpeter 1/350 Lexington!
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 02:12 PM UTC
This is from the Cybermodeler site. Drool!

http://www.cybermodeler.com
Enjoy!

Garry
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 05:15 PM UTC
no hanger deck and only four Wildcats.....it seems that Trumpeter is not going all out like they had been. Lexington is a slight step back from the Hornet, the first one they released 3 years ago.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 06:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

no hanger deck and only four Wildcats.....it seems that Trumpeter is not going all out like they had been. Lexington is a slight step back from the Hornet, the first one they released 3 years ago.

I understood that the Trumpeter Hornet didn't have a hanger deck either? Or at least you had to cut out the doors to view it. Also didn't the hornet kit only come with something like four B-25s so you had to buy several upgrade kits to have the 16 planes of the Doolittle raid?

I'm still excited about this kit, except for the price tag of course. I'll really have to save for this one, and make sure my wife doesn't read any reviews of it and see how much that puppy is.

Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 489 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2004 - 07:34 PM UTC
I definately want one of these. Time to start saving again.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 10:05 AM UTC
Hornet has a hanger deck and came with 4 ea B-25, F4f, SBD, and TDB. Essex came with hanger deck and 6 ea F6F, TDB and SBD. The Nimitz has a hanger deck and a 22 total aircraft.. Trumpeter is supposedly releasing the Saratoga kit as well and maybe she will have the hanger deck. If not, I'll do like I'm planning (already made parts) of a partial like I did for my Enterprise. If you wait a week or so after release of Lexington / Saratoga the price on ebay should hit around $80 like it did for Hornet ad Essex. Nimitz hit around $135 (retail in stores seemed to run around $175-180.) This one should be 2 months or so away. It took that long after release of kit pictures for the Nimitz. I missed all the hype for Hornet and Essex. I got aware about a month before release of Essex on a pre-purchase note from Great Models and after viewing how great it was, went back later and found a Hornet on ebay. I forgot to add, that the arcraft for this kit have been out for a while and you generally get 6 to a box for less than $6 at Great Models. I think the Dauntless and Wildcats come in 10 packs.
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Model Shipwrights: 134 posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2004 - 12:58 PM UTC
Kind of a shame they didn't "break the mold" and do a "Golden Age" version instead of another WW2 ....

Oh, well ....
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2005 - 01:35 PM UTC
We can only hope they do that with the Saratoga.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 06:45 AM UTC
Great Models is offering the Lexington Pre-order at a real super price. $97.45. Here's the kick....as I anticipated, the Saratoga would have some differences....don't know what, but it is about $30 more expensive, so I anticipate my missing hanger deck will show up on her Great Models has a pre-order price of $119.95 on her ......AND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....they are also taking pre-order on the NC for $86.20............. I think we are all in big financial trouble here
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 09:40 AM UTC
When I was looking at the sprues, I know there is 2 hulls the full and the water line, but what was that other hull for without a bottom, they have 2 water line hulls?
Kerry
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 11:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We can only hope they do that with the Saratoga.

It does seem a bit "backwards" doesn't it! Since the Lexington was sunk at Coral Sea, and had undergone "mininal" changes from the "Golden Age", you'd think they'd make her in that configuration (you could always paint the big stripe down the stack if you wanted to make the Sara.)

Then you could include the stuff for all the mods that the Sara underwent if you wanted to make a later war version.

But that's just me. Still, I always did think those were two beautiful ships, especially with those 8" guns, but what were they thinking????

Tom

decker1
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Model Shipwrights: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 02:35 PM UTC
Hey guys, support a sponser and Moderator . TridentHobbies.com is offering the Lexington for a pre-order price of $94.99 and the North Carolina for $84.99. You can sign up on the waitlist now and you'll be notified about 14 days before the items arrived to place an order. The wait list has no commitment, but the order does

Happy Modeling!
Chris Decker
http://tridenthobbies.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=NM&Category_Code=CS
 _GOTOTOP