_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Progress pics, Scharnhorst wood decks
jeremy1072
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 03:00 PM UTC
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]/my_photos

I thought I would post a couple progress pictures of my in progress 1/400 Scharnhorst. I have the main deck almost completely planked. As soon as I get the superstructure painted Ill add the wood planks to the boat deck. Its looking a little ruff right now with all the filler and putty everywhere. I will sand the and stain the decks before putting the deck on the hull. This is only my 3rd attempt at a model. The first one I never completed and the second was is the Banner Arizona over at ModelFleet. So if you guys have any advice or info about the Scharnhorst let me know.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 03:26 PM UTC
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/[email protected]/my_photos
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 03:50 PM UTC
Hey Jer!
Your making some great progress there! Thats looking realy sweet, keep us posted on your progress!

Cheers

Garry
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 315 posts
Model Shipwrights: 145 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 04:49 PM UTC
Looks good so far!!

What type of wood are you using for the planks?

I'll be planking my 1/200 Yamato this winter...plan on using boxwood veneer at this point.

Jeff
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 05:58 PM UTC
It looks so easy to do , and maybe it is....for someone young and with good eyesight, but I thik I would get tremendous headaches from trying to plank. If I win the lottery, I'll pay someone to plank me one or two

Squadron Signal just released a new soft cover for under $10 called German Battleships in action. I haven't seen it, but have stacks from this series. I would recommend getting one and i'm sure you will get plenty of pics as well as an excellent history of the Scharnhorst
jeremy1072
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2005 - 07:07 PM UTC
To answer Jeffs question, the planks are basswood strips. The planks dont raise the deck level that much. The process I used on my last build was sand then stain, sand and and stain again, then one final sanding. After that the basswood strips are a little more then paper thin.
Steve, you dont need to win the lottery to get one planked. I can do one for you pretty cheap. Or maybe we can work out a deal. If you can do a good water base for me Id plank one for ya. Ive been to chicken to try that.
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2005 - 04:52 AM UTC
Looks like ya got a long row to hoe yet!
I did this once but I used paper. I got a good image of a wood fence and downloaded it. Filled a whole page with it repeted over and over. Scaled to the correct size. Cutting each plank out was a royal PIA. Used Future to apply it to the deck. Looked surprisingly realistic but I'll never do it again-Water's so much easier!!.....MikeT Here, I still have the sheet. :

_GOTOTOP