_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Model of WWII submarine chaser?
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 01:37 AM UTC
Unfortunately, there are no model kits of a WW2 SC-497 Class SC.

Garth
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 02:44 AM UTC
Maybe if we say 'Please' to Italeri nicely enough they will release one in 1/35. After all, subchasers were dimensionally similar to an SBoot.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 07:38 AM UTC
I would even squeeze out a "pretty please" for a 1/35th sub chaser, even to Italeri The x-craft will do fine for the time being though, I was afraid that would be vapour-ware too,
Cheers,
Julian
Weebles
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 04:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe if we say 'Please' to Italeri nicely enough they will release one in 1/35. After all, subchasers were dimensionally similar to an SBoot.

I made that suggestion to Italeri myself. I would recommend that if you would like to see this kit drop Italeri a line. Their marketing department does listen to us.

Dave
siiirhd88
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, June 07, 2013 - 11:57 AM UTC
The Lindberg 1/81 scale 95' Cape Class Coast Guard Cutter hull is very similar in shape to the 110' WWII Sub Chaser hull. At 14 inches in length, the hull would be 112 feet long in 1/96 scale, just over the 111+ foot length of the subchaser. I think the beam would be just a bit too wide, however. 1/96 scale would be a convienint scale for the available fittings.

Bob
jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Model Shipwrights: 11 posts
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2013 - 02:34 AM UTC
I've dealt with Christian of Model Coastal Forces Boats

I've just taken delivery of a 1/35th HDML (Hull + some info re R/C ONLY)

He says of this Hull " It’s a nice lightweight hull with reinforced areas on the transom and where the running gear penetrates the hull and as far forward as the motors so will be great for RC if that’s what you intend to do.
Excuse any patches where the gelcoat looks thin they will paint over fine, this results in a lighter hull."

I have NO IDEA what that means but I enjoy a challenge

I say of his HULL: Fantastic! really well done, & I can't find any flaws!

Christian has said on one or another forums that He can make the hulls available, & could be amenable to producing them in another scale of requested.
Nice bloke, informative & patient with treadheeds who don't know the difference between the flat, pointy or blunt bit!
NavySon
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 12:43 AM UTC
My Father was on the Sub Chaser SC636. I know it sunk in the late forties in a storm. I haven't been lucky finding any Naval pictures. I'd like to exchange pictures with you. We might have pictures of each others family member. My Father has passed away.
 _GOTOTOP