_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Andrea miniatures U-boat conning tower model
Trm12
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2005 - 01:17 PM UTC
Does anyone have any experience or know any web site reviews of the Andrea Miniatures U-Boat Conning Tower or Deck Gun Kit. I want to know if the kits are worth the money. Thanks for your help
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2005 - 11:49 AM UTC
I have seen the entire kit built and it is most impressive, but at $2k and 6 feet long...... It might be worth getting the conning tower and gun and then scaratching the rest out to show her just barely breaking the waves with most of the deck. Pretty expensive though. Personally, the revell 72nd scale version is one of those super kits and so reasonably priced and with all the aftermarket for her...well.....that's the best thing going
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 02:34 AM UTC
Hi Mate...

Sorry for the late reply - but time is running short!
I have both models and they dont match pretty good
also the PE deck is bigger than the resin waterline hull part (on the conning tower kit)... in almost 1 cm!!

Appart from this problems is a good kit (kits) although rather expensive.

Just my 2 cents

Skipper
Trm12
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 01:45 PM UTC
Hello Skipper, Was the kit an easy build or did it require alot of kit bashing, filler etc. Is the detail good. Have you come across any web sites about reviews? appreciate the help, I like to get as much inffo about pricey kits as i can before I buy. TRM
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 11:24 PM UTC
Hi TRM!

The details are very good, the figurines are great and my only complain (so far, because I didn't finish it yet) is on the deck (PE + the joinning of the two models).

I think that my conning tower deck suffered shrinkage

I could also advise you to take a look at Accurate Armour website, since they sell the Conning tower and the 88mm in separate and they are also very good and are all resin....

http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?CFID=2982747&CFTOKEN=56925159&manufacturer=0&category=13&subcategory=27&product=588

If you are willing to scratch the deck - then this would be my advice.

If you'll need any more info, feel free to ask!

Skipper
 _GOTOTOP