_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
finally set on Lexington
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2005 - 10:49 AM UTC
well, got the research all done..thanks to Tom and Rodger for all the aircraft info. Have figured a way to do the Lexington in early 1940. Have to get the "backdate" set from Yankee model works to put back the 8 inch guns and a few other changes. As to the aircraft...Devastaors whcih Trumpeter makes. Modify wildcats into Buffalos by rounding all wing tips, adding strips undereath to have wheel covers on wings instead of fusealage. For Vindicators, have to modify wings....dauntlas had a much wider wing, so by thinning this will give the nose the longer look and with paint i can simulate the difference in canopy. Then paint the yellow wing and silver fuselage and color all the tails differently. Oh yea gotta get a Lexington too alongwith one of the PE sets....I think Tom's is making this one,....... for some reason they passed on the Nimitz ??????
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2005 - 10:56 AM UTC
Sounds like a very ambitious project Steve. How many aircraft are you planning on having? I really like the Lady Lex when she had those 8 inchers. Although I've read that one bomb dropped at her at Coral Sea would have hit the ship if those turrets had still been there.

SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 04:08 AM UTC
When do you plan on starting this project Steve? I would love to see progress pics, Good Luck

Sean
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 07:09 AM UTC
Maybe in time for the proposed Flat-top campaign next year. I'm still working on my Dive campaigne entry 72nd scale Uboat. Then we have the Dreadnaught campaign....Finally my Pe set for the Bismarck has been shipped, so I'll have that all together for that one. As for the Lex, well the Kit sin't out yet, but I'll have to get it, the Yankee Modelworks back date, the future Tom's or GMM PE set for the Lex and then pick up a few of the 10 packs of aircraft like Wildcats and Devasators. All research is done including color pics of the Devastators and Vindicators and I know the Bufaloes had white tails,
 _GOTOTOP