_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
These guys are nuts part #3
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 02:14 PM UTC
This is one instense where it is always unsafe to be on deck while the main guns are in action!

This is the battleship Missouri Firing a salvo during the Korian war. Notice that one of the shells has detinated right at the end of the barrel! The other shells are visable in the upper right hand corner of the photo. Also notice the shell debree hitting the water.
A premature exsplosion is always a possibility, so with that thought in mind, I would not think people on deck durring firing should be permitted. This kind of thing rarely happens, but I sure would not want to be above deck at that time!

Cheers,

Garry
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 03:14 AM UTC
Yes Garry!

Live ammunition can do those kind of "surprises"!
Even with the "environmental temperature control storage" aboard ships this things happen!

That was a WWII ammo for sure!

and your Lionfish?

Just teasing you!

Skipper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2005 - 10:32 AM UTC
I imagine that when last deployed....1991 Desert Storm that the ammo was the same WW2 16 inchers
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2005 - 06:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I imagine that when last deployed....1991 Desert Storm that the ammo was the same WW2 16 inchers

Yep Steve, I beleave that all 16" munitions were left over WW-2 stock piles. And I guess it was a huge amount!

Garry
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2005 - 10:09 PM UTC
I forget what movie it was, but one WWII Navy show with John Boy, from the Waltons, acting in it, but when the big guns were about to go off, all the sirens would sound to clear the decks so everybody could get inside.

Well I guess John boy didn't make it, and when the big guns went off, the concussion from the guns almost wiped him off the deck, it was supposed to show him being drug clear across the deck from the concussion from the guns going off.

That was the main reason they said nobody was supposed to be up there to, that the concussion, would blow you right off the ship, not to mention an exploding shell.
Kerry
 _GOTOTOP