_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
My Snowberry RC conversion is started
SteveNuttal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 94 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 08:14 AM UTC
Hi Guys

This is not a musem build; but a pool play thing for me and the little girl
I will add some nice brass details to try them; sorta pre marketing trials (don't want them falling off)

Anyway; the images are on my new forums; I set these up so i can post and edit as much as i want; and people can ask about barrels coming up or just ask about if i can make this or that
(might keep a lot of it off other boards like this)
the Snowberry build is here
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 142 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2005 - 09:37 AM UTC
That sounds like an interesting project Steve.

Will the weight of the battery cells and motor not make her lay too deep in the water (or sink)? I guess all the plastic alone makes her weight quite heavy (in scale)?
SteveNuttal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 01:56 AM UTC
I had it in the bathtub; floats great; needs more weigth than those batteries
I just updated the post with the rudder and motor in now
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 04:06 AM UTC
Steve, just wondering, is it possible for you to keep up a list of total parts needed and the estimated cost for the whole project (money and time) ?
I'm very interested in trying this out myself , but only if the total cost allows me to try and goof around with servo's and stuff...

The other question I've got is about the engine. How can you be sure on forehand that the engine can produce enough bhp to make her go ahead and has enough power at a low rpm to cruise and not pull up her forecastle like a speedboat?

How will you make sure the water doesn't come up through the propshaft up to the engine? I'm sure the engine will be located under the waterlevel? So then the law of communicating barrels would make your lower hull the perfect empty barrel to be filled?
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 04:08 AM UTC
Oh, one more thing i'l thinking of:
Are you sure the rudder will do the job and make her turn?
It looks rather small in comparison to the streamline of the vessel?
SteveNuttal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 04:52 AM UTC
The propshaft has a low running clearance; so water will have a tough time entering the hull; same as the rudder; but the rudder is higher and the top of the shaft support is above the waterline

As for total cost; it will be quite cheap; i have spent $1.25 on the tube so far; the motor came from a motorized car radio arial; it had a worm gear which I removed
SteveNuttal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 06:28 AM UTC
Just completed another floatation test (thisis not the first one)

The rudder and propshaft is nice and watertight
I add a huge amount of ballast to get her down to the waterline; ship can carry large amounts of weight

other than the speed control all the radio gear was in; and the big 24 cell battery pack
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 06:34 AM UTC
Hi Steve!

You're doing a great job, even with your "not a museum quality" model statement!!

One thing that I would like to add, now that you have sorted out the buoancy level of this "wet-boat", is for you to don't forget that a relatively fair amount of plastic is going to be on top of that hull!!

That should make the floatation line submerge... or not?

Skipper
SteveNuttal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 07:47 AM UTC
Hi Skipper

That huge chunk of brass weighs way more that all the spru's with the parts still attached; I'd estimate the sprus would be 4lbs tops; the brass was at least 10
DJC
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 82 posts
Model Shipwrights: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, February 18, 2005 - 11:59 AM UTC
Steve

There's lots of useful tips there that I will file away until my Flower is ready for fitting out. I particularly liked the brass bearings and I will be keeping a lookout for your brass replacement components (the U-boot bits are already on my wishlist).

All of the Flower R/C projects I have seen have required significant ballast. One technique that interested me was housing the ballast in a watertight kitchen container. This means that you can add or subtract ballast as necessary and the ballast won't shift if the Flower heels too far.

David
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 12:09 AM UTC
Seems everything is running smooth so far Steve, keep it up, you're really making others jealous with your funproject .. (me for sure).
Just another question:
I'm not a mathematics guy, but isn't there any formula or rule which you have to follow concerning weight of ballast, position of the ballast (especially height of the ballast in relation to total height of the model) to prevent your model fom tipping over or rolling heavily when making a high speed or emergency turn?

I"be veen searching the web for pics of other r/c snowberrys, but I can't find any showing where to put ballast...

Do you have to put everything on the floor of the hull in the middle of the vessel, or on the floor attached to the sides to prevent heavy rolling?

One more thing, can you tell me after ballasting, how much centimeters are left from waterline to top of the lowest part of the hull? (that 'll be somewhere near the railing on the sides I guess? (just to know how much wave she can take?)

Ok, that's it, I admit I want one too!!
SteveNuttal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 01:36 AM UTC
Just about all the ballast is within a space from the lowest point in the hull to 1/4" of the water line; so stablity will not be an issue; I feel a 45degree roll and she will self correct
I can't test this yet as the portholes are still not in; imight make solid brass port holes yet (this thinking about it)
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 08:37 AM UTC
Here's a link to a site.

http://www.cbrnp.com/RNP/Flower/contents.htm

SB
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 10:00 AM UTC
Looks like a really great project Steve. Have you done the U-boat yet. I'm just curious how that will go. That surely will be much more difficult if she is to totally submerge
SteveNuttal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 19, 2005 - 10:27 AM UTC
'm going to get a little more into this before the Uboat

I just finished the floatation foam install around the battery pack; next I'll inject some expando foam to really fix/seal and stop her from sinking when the little girl rams me from underwater
SteveNuttal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 03:30 AM UTC
I added the floatation foam yesterday; this will stop her from sinking and will stop the battery from moving etc

updated with new pics
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 - 04:13 AM UTC
Hey guys, for RC hardware, motors, electronics and all your RC boating needs, try Dumas boats. fair prices to! Here's the link:

Just click me!

Cheers,

Garry
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 513 posts
Model Shipwrights: 17 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 09:19 PM UTC
How's this build progressing? The link to Steves build is down and there's been nowt since february

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 11:24 PM UTC
Hi Shaun!

I really can't give you any info... Steve hasn't appeared around for some time...

Skipper
SteveNuttal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 11:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How's this build progressing? The link to Steves build is down and there's been nowt since february

I've been snowed with barrel orders; plus I'm building 2 new cnc machines
Maybe this winter I'll have another go at it
Thanks for asking

the new lathe
 _GOTOTOP