_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
WW2 U.S. Landing Craft
Incognito
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2005 - 09:04 AM UTC
Hello - Does anyboby know if there is high quality 1:32 scale WW2 U.S. landing craft on the market. I heard the one from Lindberg is okay but geared more for the motorized crowd. I also heard that the 1:35 Italeri LCM and 1:35 Trumpeter LCM are great but unfortunately I'm into 1:32 soldiers and need a 1:32 craft.

P.S. would it be okay to use 1:32 soldiers in a 1:35 LCM for a D-Day diorama or would it look wrong? It is so hard to find good quality 1:32 WW2 U.S. G.I.'s.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2005 - 11:32 AM UTC
The Lindberg kit is not motorized, and is actually a decent kit. Why 32nd? There are so many 35th scale figure kits out there and the fgures are what an eigth to 3 /16's smaller
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2005 - 01:18 PM UTC
Lindberg made an LCVP in 1/32 that, like Steve says, isn't too bad. It does have many parts that are overy thick or simplified, but with a little TLC, parts replacement and minor scratchbuilding, it can come around.

The goofiest thing is the "rope" molded around the top edge of the hull. This needs to be carefully carved and sanded off and will need some filler and more sanding.

Mixing 1/32nd figures with a 1/35th boat shouldn't be a noticable problem. Just don't try to mix 1/35 and 1/32 figures -- that gets a little tricky.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2005 - 02:54 PM UTC
The original one was motorized as were several of the reissues, but the kit still builds up nicely. As Bob said, detail is a little crude but fixable.
Incognito
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 - 02:24 AM UTC
Thank you all. As you can maybe see, I'm very new to the hobby and I want to try to get into it in my spare time. Like most people I want to do a D-Day diorama and need a good landing craft (I really want a Higgins Boat LCVP but will use the other LCM's if I have to do 1/35. I'm torn between the "toy soldier" 1/32 scale and the model 1/35 scales because I have a soft spot for the Conte paratroopers and the upcoming TSSD US infantry (www.sdsoldiers.com). It sounds like that might not be a good enough reason to use 1/32 scale and give up the better 1/35 sets that are out there. I am just trying to gather all my figures and vehicles before I start to experiment with assembly, and painting techniques. I'm a little lost.
 _GOTOTOP