_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
YO! Lexington backdaters!
desertmole
Visit this Community
Kabul, Afghanistan
KitMaker: 53 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 04, 2005 - 09:21 PM UTC
Yankee Modelworks is planning three sets for the Trumpy Lexington. John Sheridan says:

Set #1: Lexington Photo-etch set.
This will comprise of an extensive photo-etch set to enhance the Trumpeter USS Lexington. Price: TBA

Set #2: USS Lexington Backdate kit 1938 - 1941: Set will be composed of Resin parts, which include the 8 inch guns, and parts that will correct the kit mistakes. The set will also come with an extensive photo-etch fret. Price: TBA

Set #3: Lexington / Saratoga Backdate kit 1930-1938:
Set will include the earlier flight deck found on Lexington/Saratoga. Kit will also come with resin parts to backdate the bridge, stack, & flightdeck supports. This set will also include extensive photo-etch. Price: TBA

If these sets are sucessful, we would consider doing the Saratoga from 1938-1942.

The photo-etch is already being etched as we speak. Set #1 & 2 should be out by April 1st 2005.

Comments & Suggestions are always welcome.

John Sheridan
Yankee Modelworks

Additionally, someone else is currently preparing SBC Helldivers, F2A Buffalos and SB2U Vibrators (uh, vindicators) as a side dish. Check out the "What's New" section for 2 March at Steel Navy

http://www.steelnavy.com/InKitchenWithDinah.htm

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 09:44 AM UTC
With a name like John Sheridan (Babylon 5) I knew you would be the hero. Put me down for a set #2 Any word as to when those Buffaloes and Vindicators will be released. Luckily I haven't gone out and bought the wildcats or carved up my extra Dauntlases to "kitbash" yet. In fact, I don't even have my Lexington yet 4 more hours to go on my ebay bid

Oh and thanks for posting this Chuck. How are things going in Afghanistan?
desertmole
Visit this Community
Kabul, Afghanistan
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 10:37 PM UTC
Going well. Busy as can be. I'm waiting on my Lex to arrive, along with the ISW USS South Dakota (the ACR).

Don't know when the aircraft will be released. I'm not sure who is making them, but it might be WEM, as the modeling and resin color looks like theirs. I'm thinking that the SBC will allow one to make other biplanes as well, since they have the classic Curtiss wing shape. Hmmm, an early '30s Saratoga, with Curtiss Hawks and Vought dive bombers? I wonder what I could make a Martin torpecker from....
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 11:56 PM UTC
Ahoy!

Thanks for the news "DesertMole"
A Sara would look great in her early forthy's scheme... Specially the air wing (for a change of dull aircraft painting schemes). But this would be a an expensive Lady

Thank you for sharing this news and Keep Safe!!

Skipper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2005 - 11:07 AM UTC
Actually Skipper it might not be that bad. If you opt to do the Lex instead of Sara, you can get the set number 2 which will get you the PE and 8" turrets. Won't have to mess with flight deck as the modificatins to it were done in '38. The Airwing can be done fairly cheap as Trumpeter did do Devastators which you can pick up at 10 in a box for $10. Only buy a few of the Buffaloes and Vindicators (depends on price). That's my plan of action anyway. Think I might be able to make Wildcats into Buffaloes and Dauntlases into Vindicators with a little work. Then all those colorful airwing colors and the mahogany stained deck with LEX on the stern end. All this should come together just in time for the Flattop Campaign WHOOPIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 05:39 AM UTC
Steve, you figure there is some "psychological" reason you, Chuck and I are so interested in a carrier named "Lexington"? :-) :-) :-)

(Sorry! Inside joke folks!!!!)

Tom VMI '72
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 07:07 AM UTC
I was wondering when you were going to check in Tom. Maybe my subconcious has a connection with Lexington but certainly not overtly. But it was very funny

Steve
VMI '76

desertmole
Visit this Community
Kabul, Afghanistan
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 06:51 PM UTC
Hmmm, Tom you may be right. I was tripping through the News Gazette archives one time and there was a big article on the Lex's loss, and a bond drive starting in Lexington to buy her replacement.

Personally, I got attached to the Saratoga years ago (don't remember why), and I want to do her.

I just sent off an e-mail to ISW about the possibility of buying the air wing portion of the ISW USS Langley kit. It comes with 8 F3Bs, 8 F6Cs and 10 O3Us. Could do a neat early Sara or Lex with a couple of sets of these.

Chuck
VMI '75
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 02:29 AM UTC
Didn't know about ISW's kit and planes. You would think that if they already have the planes made, making them available separately would be a great idea. With Lexington and Saratoga now available and backdate kits coming, there would now be a potentially larger market for them.

With my existing backlog of kits, even with the current and upcoming campaigns, I'm reluctant to sign up for a carrier campaign, but this is really starting to sound fun.

You know, a copy of that Gazette article from the archives and a model of the Lexington might make a great exhibit in the rebuilt VMI museum. I should contact the curator, Keith Gibson, VMI '77.

Tom
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 09:20 AM UTC
And for a preview of how it might turn out, check this link!

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/cv/cv-03/350-db/db-index.html

Steve, sounds like your plans to convert the A/C are pretty much right on!

Tom
desertmole
Visit this Community
Kabul, Afghanistan
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2005 - 08:41 PM UTC
Received a nice letter from Jon Warnke at ISW in response to my request. He said I was the first to ask, and that they had no plans, since they had not requests. There is a problem, in that the photoetch for the planes is incorporated into the photoetch for the rest of the Langley kit. Well, it was a thought. I suspect that if they thought there was enough interest, they might consider making a new photoetch plate and marketing the planes, but this is just a personal guess.

Oh, and if we can leave that KG name (from VMI) off future e-mails, I'd appreciate it. We have history.

Chuck
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 08:10 AM UTC
I guess we'll all have to be patient and wait and see what shakes out on this airwing. I should be getting my Lex in a week or so. Won one on ebay, but the dealer didn't do paypal credit cards, so I went the personal check route. I've done some dealing with her in the past, so I know I'll be quite pleased. The campaign doesn't start until December, so plenty of tiem to get the backdate kit when it is ready and by then someone will have some Buffaloes and Vindicators and Biplanes out. I've still got a Hornet to build, going with the B-25's so I can "steal " the devastators and wildcats from her. Got a box of 10 Dauntlases left over, so I can stuff the hanger deck of the Hornet with a few of these (only open a few of the doors)
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 03:51 AM UTC
Steve if you need any drawings of the Lex I can help you a bit. I've got Meyer's Battleships and Battlecruisers and since the Lex and Sara were originally supposed to be BCs they're in it. It has 1/1200 scale port side and top view of the Lex in 1939, starboard side of the Sara in 1937. If you need them I can scan them for you and email them to you. PM me if you need em.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 09:45 AM UTC
Thanks Rodger. I have done a ton of research on the Lex. Only want to backdate her to late 1940 or so. ONly significant change to the kit will be with the swap out of the 8 inch guns and some radar and mast work. The biggest problem is the airwing which as you can see from the postings Chuck, Tom and I and PM'sto each other have all pretty much hammered out as well.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 06:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh, and if we can leave that KG name (from VMI) off future e-mails, I'd appreciate it. We have history.

Chuck

OOPS! Didn't know that. Hope it's nothing more serious than sending you up to the GC for taking a class privilege!!

I've dealt with him in conjunctionw with the book my dad was working on before he died, and he seems a decent chap.

In any event, it would be great if some one decides to put out a pre-war collection of 1/350 planes for these carriers. They sure were beautiful!!

TC
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 08:25 AM UTC
Tom I saw a picture of some resin cast aircraft. They had one of those late biplanes, a Buffaloe and a Vindicator. Didn't list a company but the speculation was it was WEM. I expect that the cost of them will rock you back on your heels. I'm thinking roughtly $5 a piece. Sounds like most of my airwing will be in the hanger deck ! :-)
 _GOTOTOP