_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Fuel for the Dreadnought campaign!
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 04:55 PM UTC
This is a brilliant photo of the HMS Queen Elizabeth Battleship.

She's a beauty! Thought I would share this and quicken the pulse for the Dreadnought campaign.

Garry
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 08:37 PM UTC
You can always move the date up. We can start in May instead of August. (hint hint)
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 11:55 PM UTC
Just wondering if there is a kit of the HMS Dreadnought?
Not that I'm able to build anything that small.....
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 03:25 AM UTC
Now THAT is a battleship. Almost as pretty as the greatest battleship of all time, HMS Warspite.

Thanks for sharing.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 09:36 AM UTC
I think the Yamato is the "prettiest". She looks like a yacht with that real long bow sweeping back to the superstructure. British ships are too angular for my vote of "prettiest". Now I think that BB's are all fantastic looking from the Dreadnaught on. I have assembled a profile book which shows a lot of early developments and changes in the shape . Years ago a series of books came out called Conways All the Worlds Fighting ships. It was a 3 volume set brokendown by year groups. I bought the first 2 which ended in 1945. Now I wish I had bought the third as I have not seen them for sale again
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 09:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now THAT is a battleship. Almost as pretty as the greatest battleship of all time, HMS Warspite.

Thanks for sharing.

I agree Rodger, the Warspite is the greatest Battleship of all time! I was looking for a pic of her when I found this one of the Queen. It realy cought my eye!

Garry
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 09:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks for sharing.

I agree Rodger, the Warspite is the greatest Battleship of all time! I was looking for a pic of her when I found this one of the Queen. It realy cought my eye!

Garry

Aaah the Warspite was kind enough to shell the atlantikwall bunkers at our Dutch province Walcheren to provide cover for commandos that landed there. I've seen a model of this ship in one of the (restaurated) bunkers there and it's a really nice ship. Impressive!

And pics like this one from the QE make me want to start the dreadnought campaign now already :-)
nfafan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 03:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just wondering if there is a kit of the HMS Dreadnought?
Not that I'm able to build anything that small.....

Yes, available in resin in 1/700th and 1/350th, plus metal 1/1250th and as a paper model too.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 - 12:31 AM UTC
Thanks Steve...
After destroying a 1/400 scale subs photo etch, and tossing that, I dread the thought of a 1/700 or 1/350.... One snezze and it's shot..... and a lot more money gone down the tubes than the sub and photo etched set cost.
I give you guys a lot of credit, that work in these tiny scales....
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 - 07:28 AM UTC
Thanks ZZ !!!!!!!!!!!!That picture of the Bismarck in the Norwegian fjord is awesome. The mightiness of that ship is displayed as almost an object of great beauty. I copied it and put it in my kit box. This is the particular version/paint scheme I am using on her. She is my choice for the Dreadnaught campaign
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 - 10:15 AM UTC
Do you Bismarck guys have ANY idea how freaking lucky you are? How many different Bismarck kits do you have to choose from? Is there a hobby store anywhere that doesn't have three or four different kits to pick? Including Hobby Lobby? Heck, I'll bet some Wal-Marts even have a Bismarck gathering dust.

So what do we Hood guys get? 1/600 Airfix, 1/720 Italeri, 1/700 Tamiya? I'm not 100% sure about the Airfix but I know the other two show her either pre or early war, NOT as she appeared in the Denmark Straight. Then in larger scale we get the fabulous Lindbergh, and who knows WHAT scale that beast is. Or the 1/400 Heller, a kit I've heard is the worst Hood ever, possibly even worse than the Lindberg. Of course you can always take a loan out and get one of the 1/350 resin kits. I'd also have to find a new place to sleep since my wife would kick me out of the bedroom, if not the entire house.

As Charlie Brown says, "ARG". Just my rant for the day.

garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 - 01:49 PM UTC
I hear ya about that Rodger! I built all of the available warship kits years ago, now I am building them all over again! Just hopefully better this time! I try to build ship models that I have never built before, but I'm running out of options. That is why when I hear of a new release I get all excited about it. Like the up and coming Trumpeter 1/350 N. Carolina. Cant wait to get my hands on one of those! We have talked about this before, Why keep bringing out the same old subjects , when all us modelers are screaming for something new. Must be the money talking. So my friend lets just cherish the few new kits we get.

Garry
Hoovie
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 104 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2005 - 04:01 PM UTC
Hi~
Yes beautifull battle wagon you can
see here line's going on to the KGV!
Thats a tough call all the BB wagons
give a thrill!!