_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
RGM 1/72 U-Boat & Nautilus Models
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
Model Shipwrights: 53 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 03:35 AM UTC
Hi;
I'd like to get a hold of Nautilus' Models wooden deck set for RGM's 1/72 U-Boat and m loking for some feedback from the group before I fork out the cash. I'm not looking for shameless plugs from anyone connected with the manufacturer, just some frank assessments of the product by those of us that have actually used it and what they think. Also, I have no idea about the actual U-Boat deck. Is there a metal deck underneath the wooden deck or is the wooden deck meant to be a working surface over top of the pressure hull and therefore the pressure hull could be seen under the wooden deck?? If I do buy the Nautilus set, where's the best place to get it from (I need it shipped to Canada), right from the manufacturer or from a re-seller? What's been evereyone's experiences with them?

U-Boat rookie.....
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 04:11 AM UTC
Hello Bob!
To my notion , after the wood deck is attached to the model and painted, it is not going to look different or better then the kits deck. One will just have to go through lots of extra work to get the same results. Here is a photo of the deck on my 1/72 U-boat.

I just filled in the vent holes with flat black, then dry brushed the deck color over that. It gives the effect of cut out vent holes. Just my idea on this, I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Garry
Probuilder
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 193 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 04:40 AM UTC
Let 's see if this help, I recently bought the brass deck set and as I understand it it must be shimmed up because it it not as thick as the plastic one. Now as luck would have it I recieved by mistake the Wooden deck also! This is a very nice laser cut deck with all the vent holes going completely through. You also get a new deck hatch and other deck detail pieces which you don't get with the brass set. I can send you some Pictures of both so you can compare. Just ket me know
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 07:17 AM UTC
I recently built the kit sing the MOdelbrass set whcih gives the replacement deck in metal. 2 points I'll make here. 1) Wooden decks on the U-boats were NOT common. I'll venture out a bit and say rarely done. 2) After all the work I did to utilize my Model brass set I would strongly recommend going straight out of the box. There is a slight enhancement using the aftermarket, but the amount of work and the price for what you end up with as compared to how the kit would have looked without all that jazz is NOT WORTH IT !!!!. Go straight out of the box and you will have fun making this BEAUTY as well as an excellent display kit
 _GOTOTOP