_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Nimitz airwing
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 07:50 AM UTC
I also asked this question on the Modelship web, but I want to cover all bases.
1) Was there a time when the Nimitz had both F-4 Phantoms and F-14 Tomcats aboard?
2) Did the Jolly Rodgers ever serve aboard the Enterprise?
3) When did the A7 Corsairs and A-6 Intruders get replaced on the Nimitz?

I initially bought Phantoms to go with my Nimitz, but Yankee MOdelworks is making decals for the F-14 Tomcats which came aboard at the end of the 70's. So now I am considering buying some Tomcats. Don't want to dump the 2 boxes of Trumpeter Phantoms I bought. I'll make a deal with someone here. I'll trade my two boxes of Phantoms and throw in the ones that came with the kit for two boxes of Tomcats
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 02:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I also asked this question on the Modelship web, but I want to cover all bases.
1) Was there a time when the Nimitz had both F-4 Phantoms and F-14 Tomcats aboard?
2) Did the Jolly Rodgers ever serve aboard the Enterprise?
3) When did the A7 Corsairs and A-6 Intruders get replaced on the Nimitz?

1) No, when the tomcats came on board on her second cruise (I believe) the phantoms were not onboard.

2) Yes in 1996, when they also changed from VF-84 to VF-103. The Gold Medal Models East coast airwing depicts the aircraft from this time frame. I must warn you that those decals are very light and inaccurate.

3) For this question try this website

Go Navy

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2005 - 08:04 AM UTC
Thanks Niitz fan. The guys on the other website gave me pretty much the same info. Yankee Modelworks is coming out with decals for the VF 84 which the markings are (at 350 scale) the same as 103, so I'll get some high quality Tomcats, those decals and deploy them on my Enterprise and stay with the Phantoms on the Nimitz. I'll stuff the Tamiya stuff into my two hanger decks visible on the Enterprise hidden in the background (for detail) on the Nimitz
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 03:19 AM UTC
Sorry Blaster....The VF-84 decals being done by YMW are not even close to what the markings for the VF-103 in 1996 look like. The only similarity will be the white skull and crossbones on a black tail. Everything else will be different.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 11:07 AM UTC
That's close enough for me. Heck you practically need a magifying glass to see them as it is.
 _GOTOTOP