_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Warship section in armor room
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 10:51 PM UTC
My god my god, not to far from now a VIIC u-boat will hit the surface in my room here, between armor, armor and again, armor. Few months after that, a battleship will sail into my room and after that an aircraftcarrier will hunt down mosquito's in my room so that I can sleep nice and peacefully.

All very nice and cool, but where the hell to store those big ships once build? I've already picked a spot at my wall, where I'll place about 3 or maybe 4 shelfs with a lenght of 1 meter. That should be big enough!

Any idea how broad I should make the shelves?? (I want to place all shelves in 1 time, so I need to think ahead how big my battleship and aircraftcarrier will be....guess they will be 1:350, not larger that 1 meter)

Hmmm......now let that VIIC come (waiting for delivery)

Oh also if anyone has any ideas for WW2 battleships or aircraft carriers worth building, let me know! :-) I don't have a clue what kits are good and which aren't.

Cheers,
Martin (armor guy who is beginning to build ships)

garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My god my god, not to far from now a VIIC u-boat will hit the surface in my room here, between armor, armor and again, armor. Few months after that, a battleship will sail into my room and after that an aircraftcarrier will hunt down mosquito's in my room so that I can sleep nice and peacefully.

All very nice and cool, but where the hell to store those big ships once build? I've already picked a spot at my wall, where I'll place about 3 or maybe 4 shelfs with a lenght of 1 meter. That should be big enough!

Any idea how broad I should make the shelves?? (I want to place all shelves in 1 time, so I need to think ahead how big my battleship and aircraftcarrier will be....guess they will be 1:350, not larger that 1 meter)

Oh also if anyone has any ideas for WW2 battleships or aircraft carriers worth building, let me know! :-) I don't have a clue what kits are good and which aren't.

Cheers,

Good day Martin!
Well as far as your shelves go, I think that 1 meter by 20 centimeters should be about right for a 1/350 ship model.

Now as for which 1/350 Battleships and carriers are best. For Battleships any of the Tamiya 1/350 kits are right on spot! Unless you want to hold out for the new Trumpeter USS North Carolina, which should be out in June.

Aircraft Carriers? It depends on if you want to build WW-2 or modern era subjects. For WW-2, Trumpeter wins hands down! There USS Hornet, Essex, or Lexington are awesome! In modern carriers Tamiya's Enterprise or Trumpeters Nimitz are each great, and your only choices in 1/350.
Oh, one more choice is the Heller 1/400 HMS Illustrious, WEM just announced a PE set for it to!

HTH mate!

Garry
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 03:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers,

Good day Martin!
Well as far as your shelves go, I think that 1 meter by 20 centimeters should be about right for a 1/350 ship model.

Now as for which 1/350 Battleships and carriers are best. For Battleships any of the Tamiya 1/350 kits are right on spot! Unless you want to hold out for the new Trumpeter USS North Carolina, which should be out in June.

Aircraft Carriers? It depends on if you want to build WW-2 or modern era subjects. For WW-2, Trumpeter wins hands down! There USS Hornet, Essex, or Lexington are awesome! In modern carriers Tamiya's Enterprise or Trumpeters Nimitz are each great, and your only choices in 1/350.
Oh, one more choice is the Heller 1/400 HMS Illustrious, WEM just announced a PE set for it to!

HTH mate!

Garry

Thanks for the info mate! I took a look at the Tamiya battleships and the Trumpeter kits and if I'd have to choose now I'd choose the Tamiya Missouri and the Trumpeter Essex, they look really cool

But first we start on the VIIC.....I'll get the kit tomorrow, can't wait :-)

Check this VIIC movie btw.....based on Revell's kit:

http://www.modelluboot.de/KITS/VII/viic_fahrend320.mov

http://www.modelluboot.de/KITS/VII/VIIc_E.html

Martin
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 03:59 AM UTC
If this is any answer to you I just picked up, it was my birthday present but I paid for it, a lawyers bookcase. About three feet wide, just under one meter. and four shelves. A "lawyers bookcase" is the type that has sliding glass doors on it. The top shelf is already holding my 1/350 USS Arizona. It seems to have enough room there that a larger ship, like a Lexington or New Jersey, could probably fit instead. That way it will be under glass. I'll still have three shelves for my armor. Before getting the case I used shelves I had made myself. I got brackets from the DIY store that were 8 inches wide, about 19 cm, and cut them to width according to the ships length. That width allowed for a base, which I aways plan to use on my ship models.

Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If this is any answer to you I just picked up, it was my birthday present but I paid for it, a lawyers bookcase. About three feet wide, just under one meter. and four shelves. A "lawyers bookcase" is the type that has sliding glass doors on it. The top shelf is already holding my 1/350 USS Arizona. It seems to have enough room there that a larger ship, like a Lexington or New Jersey, could probably fit instead. That way it will be under glass. I'll still have three shelves for my armor. Before getting the case I used shelves I had made myself. I got brackets from the DIY store that were 8 inches wide, about 19 cm, and cut them to width according to the ships length. That width allowed for a base, which I aways plan to use on my ship models.

I'd love to buy such bookcase or any display case with glass to protect my models but they're way too expensive for me, I just don't have enough money for that....still only 18 haha. So I'll have to do with shelves and plastic glass (plexiglass if that is English)

Cheers,
Martin
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 142 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 05:23 AM UTC
you sometimes see these plexiglass covers which fit just over the shipsmodel. I always wondered where these guys get their covers?
do they build them themselves or can you buy them somewhere providing you just give the dimensions?

And what would the cost for that be??
Maybe one of the more professional mates around here can provide some answer on this?
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 05:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

you sometimes see these plexiglass covers which fit just over the shipsmodel. I always wondered where these guys get their covers?
do they build them themselves or can you buy them somewhere providing you just give the dimensions?

And what would the cost for that be??
Maybe one of the more professional mates around here can provide some answer on this?

I do this myself.....a plate of plexiglass of 1m x 1.5m costs about €10...pretty expensive, but it does protect what you build and makes cleaning your room much easier :-)
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 06:16 AM UTC

I do this myself.....a plate of plexiglass of 1m x 1.5m costs about €10...pretty expensive, but it does protect what you build and makes cleaning your room much easier :-)[/quote]

How can you bend them to make a box out of a sheet?
Do you cut them to pieces and superglue them or do you heat them?
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 06:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I do this myself.....a plate of plexiglass of 1m x 1.5m costs about €10...pretty expensive, but it does protect what you build and makes cleaning your room much easier :-)

How can you bend them to make a box out of a sheet?
Do you cut them to pieces and superglue them or do you heat them?[/quote]

In pieces....and then glue it together (watch out though, don't want to get the plexiglass dirty with glue)
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 06:32 AM UTC
Thanks for the info Martin, I will have a look around in the hobbystore.
10 € is better than having paid 65 € and hours of work for a modelsub which the cat than tries to give a drylaunch...
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 06:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the info Martin, I will have a look around in the hobbystore.
10 € is better than having paid 65 € and hours of work for a modelsub which the cat than tries to give a drylaunch...

yeah take a look at the "bouwmarkt" (sorry don't know the English word, hopefully you're from Dutch speaking Belgium mate!)

Martin
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 07:19 AM UTC
The USS Enterprise and the Nimitz Class Carriers are all approx 1100 feet in length, which in a 1/350 scale model equates to approx .96 meters. If your 1 meter display measures inside to inside, it would be close, but would fit. If the 1 meter dimension is overall width, don't forget to take into account the thickness of the walls. If your type construction is similar to US standards, I would bet you'd lose about another 25 mm to account for both side pieces.

Any WW II US ship will be smaller, because they were all designed to fit throught the locks of the Panama Canal, which are 1000 feet long and 110 feet wide. The Missouri for example should measure about 772 mm. in length.

With a beam of approx 108 feet, it was always an "adventure" whenever an Iowa class battleship went through the locks.

I have a standard 4 foot wide "built in" display case for my models, and the Enterprise fits very nicel with room both in ahead and astern of the model. It would probably be a very close fit for that, but 1 meter should probably handle most other ships.

Tom
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 09:41 AM UTC
Did the Missouri and the Lexington ever serve in the same taskforce during W W II?
Tom
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 09:55 AM UTC
no idea but I wasn't planning on a diorama, they will be stand alone builds!

noob question: I suppose I can add a real wood deck to the missouri? saw some articles about this on the net

think that would be a cool thing to do!

cheers,
Martin
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 10:38 AM UTC
No, the Lexington was sunk in 1942, the Missouri I don't think came into action until 1943, at the earliest. Maybe the Saratoga, Lex's sister, could have sailed with the Big MO.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 10:56 AM UTC
Go to ebay to buy your kits. I just got the Tamiya New Jersey for $28.50. She retails for $60 and discounters usually sell for around $48. Several of these sellers are in Hong Kong and you can get them even cheaper but pay a pretty hefty shipping charge. I think Europe is a wee bit cheaper than US, and you guys over there have to mail order most of your kits anyway, so look to save some money so you can maybe buy a Photo etched set that really enhances the kit. So far I have completed the Yamato, Tirpitz, Missouri, Prince of Wales, Arizona, Essex, and that 72nd sub. Have the Bismarck for the build, just ordered the New Jersey and the Lexington, have the Hornet, NImitz, and Enterprise all ready to go. It's easy to fall in love with these kits. They are easy to build, it takes quite a while to do them , and when they are finished are items you are proud to display because they are so gorgeous.
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 09:14 PM UTC
Thanks for the tip Steve, I'll take a look at that....those ships are pretty expensive that's for sure!

Looking at these pics I really wanna start building already haha

Cheers
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 09:45 PM UTC
btw, how high are these models?

around 30 cm? or maybe 40? (need to know that too for the shelves)

cheers,
martin
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 11:11 PM UTC
Steve

Everybody is always talking about Ebay, but I never seem to find the kits you guys talk about!!

Can you give me a rough idea about where exactly we're supposed to find them?

thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 04:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

cheers,
martin

I think my Enterprise sits in a shelf that has about 30 cm space. But one thing I'd recommend if you can get it. Use adjustable shelves. Almost everything you find over here has a pair of vertical strips (front and back) on both sides, with holes spaced at intervals, probably every 50 mm or so. You get some sort of peg or bracket which fits in the holes which allows you to space the shelves where ever you want.

Look for something like that.

Tom
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 05:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

cheers,
martin

I think my Enterprise sits in a shelf that has about 30 cm space. But one thing I'd recommend if you can get it. Use adjustable shelves. Almost everything you find over here has a pair of vertical strips (front and back) on both sides, with holes spaced at intervals, probably every 50 mm or so. You get some sort of peg or bracket which fits in the holes which allows you to space the shelves where ever you want.

Look for something like that.

Tom

Ah yes I have them some of those in spare, maybe I can use them...thanks for the tip!

I just got my Revell VIIC uboat....my god what a huge box!

Looks awesome already :-)
 _GOTOTOP