_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Japanese Sub found off of Hawaii
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,141 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 05:08 AM UTC
I just saw this article on Yahoo and thought you guys might be interested in reading it. Here's the link:

Japanese sub found

Chris "toadman" Hughes
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 142 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 05:17 AM UTC
Hey Chris

Thanks for the article, very interesting indeed.
A 3 or 4 stories high hull, that's got to be a huge sub!!!

I wouldn't mind seeing some underwater pics of her...
Or even some "before" pics

thanks for sharing
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 05:28 AM UTC
interesting story! bombing US cities with infected rats...what a mission!

A very interesting desing that is! Would be a great build for the DDD campaign (anyone?)

Thanks for sharing

Martin
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 05:40 AM UTC
Very interesting, thanks for posting. The I-400 class were really the "Yamato" of the undersea fleet. (not my line but one from The Fleets of World War II) I understand that when they were being built the Japanese put fake funnels and superstructure on them to hide what they really were. They had the displacement of light cruisers.

The Hawaii Underwater Research Laboratory has got to have one of the most unfortunate acronyms ever. H.U.R.L. They do great work though.

Those are some great photos of the models.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 11:04 AM UTC
If we had custody of them after WW2 and we scuttled them shortly after the war, why did it take so long to find them again? Hopefully they can retreive it and put it off of Ford island along with the Arizona, Missouri and the Utah
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 11:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If we had custody of them after WW2 and we scuttled them shortly after the war, why did it take so long to find them again?

Were they looking for them? From the article it doesn't make it clear and it seemed to me that the found it by accident.

I doubt they would raise it. It's over six thousand tons. Sure they can raise that weight, but I doubt the funds would be there.

Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,141 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 11:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wouldn't mind seeing some underwater pics of her...

The underwater pics are located here

If you explore the "HURL" site further, you can find pics and info on the midget sub that was sunk by the USS Ward just before the first wave of aircraft hit Pearl Harbor.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Model Shipwrights: 47 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 11:39 AM UTC
Soulds like Discovery Channel or History Channel will need to sponsor another expedition
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 11:52 AM UTC
Hey cool, I just read the article from HURL and they also found a S class boat, one of the type that helped hold the line in early WWII. I'd like to see more about that one as well as the I boat.

Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 987 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 02:15 PM UTC
now that's pretty #$%@#%! cool - I didn't know those subs were that big - I thought it just held one plane inside not 3!!! I have to give the Japanese props on their Naval arsenal from ww2.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 08:10 PM UTC
how'd you like to build that puppy in 72nd scale? I don't think I could find room for anything that big
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 08:28 PM UTC
Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing it with us. Cheers Kevin
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 01:02 AM UTC
Hi all!!

This is a great "finding" of a great Submarine!
Japanese submarines where, by other navy's standart, HUGE boats and this was the biggest of all!

One of these boats is desperatly needed in a bigger scale than 1/700, and accurate - not a toy like sub

Thanks for sharing and sorry for the late comment

Skipper
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 01:56 AM UTC
I wonder how well they would have done? I remember reading about the length of time it took those submarines to submerge. That would have made the submarine vulnerable to Allied coastal air patrols. I'm assuming the PBYs would have a greater range than the single engine planes would, even with drop tanks.

Also the Panama Canal was heavily defended against air attack. Three planes per sub would not be a very large task force to try to take out any locks. Without floats, those planes look like they were intended to travel only one way.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 02:10 AM UTC
Howdy fellas,

Yeah, very interesting find indeed.

".... A very interesting desing that is! Would be a great build for the DDD campaign (anyone?) ....."

Coincidentally (if anyone remembers), I just recently asked about the I-400 Class Submarine on the threads (forget which one) because I had my eye on a 1/300th scale kit of that very boat on Evilbay.....funny.

Tread.

And Rob brings up one of the very thoughts I had when I was investigating it, and that was the lack of retrevial accomodations for the AC.......apparently the 'kamikaze' one-way trip mentality had spread to the Navy as well.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Model Shipwrights: 32 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 02:12 AM UTC
Rob,

I found a different article. The sub carried three Seiran or "Mountain Haze" bombers with floats. I initially thought the same thing. And I agree 100% about the whole air attack on the canal. I think they would have had better luck ramming a lock with the sub than trying to damage them with three single engine bombers.

Couple of links:

http://starbulletin.com/2005/03/20/news/story1.html

http://www.combinedfleet.com/ijna/m6a.htm

Shaun
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 03:45 AM UTC
Yes mates - the Seiran was supposed to be back aboard - ence the floats, as Shaun mentioned...

Back to the I-400 subs, appart from 1/700 (Hasegawa or Fujimi, I am not sure) there's a 1/300 Doyusha model (which I happen to have) but it is so toylike....

I must say that I was fooled by the Nichimo I-19 quality and wrongly guessed that the I-400 would have the same quality - how stupid can you get????

It would be nice if Tamyia or Trumpeter made one of this beasts in a nice scale: 1/144 (hint hint)

Skipper
 _GOTOTOP