_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
First time caller, long time viewer
Plasticat
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 448 posts
Model Shipwrights: 135 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 04:15 PM UTC
Well, I am now going to build my first ship model in about 20 years or so. Looking at all of the excellent ships on this sight has really inspired me to expand from my armor models.
For my first test subject, I am doing the old Airfix 1/600 HMS Nelson(always liked the odd ball look of Nelson and Rodney). I'm going to put on the TMW photo etched set. My main question is.....what colors do I use for the paint scheme that has light gray hull with a dark gray rectangle along about 2/3 of the hull length. (See the Tamiya HMS King George V box for an example) I need either Model Master, Humbrol or Tamiya colors since that is what is available to me.
And one more question....Do you put the PE railings on before or after painting? I know that one probably has as many answers as there are modelers.
What's coming after the Nelson I wonder....a U-boat or maybe a flat top?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 04:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I am now going to build my first ship model in about 20 years or so. Looking at all of the excellent ships on this sight has really inspired me to expand from my armor models.
For my first test subject, I am doing the old Airfix 1/600 HMS Nelson(always liked the odd ball look of Nelson and Rodney). I'm going to put on the TMW photo etched set. My main question is.....what colors do I use for the paint scheme that has light gray hull with a dark gray rectangle along about 2/3 of the hull length. (See the Tamiya HMS King George V box for an example) I need either Model Master, Humbrol or Tamiya colors since that is what is available to me.
And one more question....Do you put the PE railings on before or after painting? I know that one probably has as many answers as there are modelers.
What's coming after the Nelson I wonder....a U-boat or maybe a flat top?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hello Plasticat, and welcome back to Warship modeling! I have the Airfix Rodney in my stash to build yet. I have built the Tamiya 1/700 Nelson several years ago, and the paint I used on it was the model masters enamel Neutral gray, and the dark painted area over the armor plate area I used Model masters enamel Gunship gray. About the PE painting, all the doors and hatches and ladders are attached before painting. But the for the railing, the model is painted first, and also I paint the PE railing before I attach it. The CA glue used to attach the PE railing will bond to the painted area. Unlike plastic cement. If you need any more help all you have to do is ask, the many modelers here are more then willing to lend a hand!

Once again, welcome aboard!

Garry
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 06:41 PM UTC
I do my PE the same as Garry. I also used the same colors when I did my King George V last year. We have a battleship building campaign starting in August. Why don't you sign up for it. The only requirements are build a model battleship any era, or navy btwn August and December and submit a picture showing it.. Garry "the boss" can give you better details.
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
Model Shipwrights: 292 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 08:22 AM UTC
That is Admiralty Standard Camouflage Scheme A, adopted late in the war. The actual colors were:

G45, a warm light grey;
B20, a greyish-blue for the hull panel;
G10, a very dark grey for the steel decks.
Wood decks were natural teak.

If you want accurate colors, you won't find them in MM, Humbrol, or Tamiya. We've got all those colors--and lots more--accurately matched in our Colourcoats enamels, and we ship 'em worldwide. It just depends on how accurate you want your model to be.

Cheers,
John Snyder
White Ensign Models
http://WhiteEnsignModels.com
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
Model Shipwrights: 292 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 08:26 AM UTC
Oh, and you might also want to take a look at our PE 723, designed specifically for the Tamiya Nelson and Rodney kits:

http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/brochure/images/wembrass/wempe723.jpg

Cheers,
John Snyder
White Ensign Models
http://WhiteEnsignModels.com
Plasticat
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 448 posts
Model Shipwrights: 135 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 05:10 PM UTC
Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and ordered some of the paints from WEM. Since they will ship to the USA I figured I'd give them a try. After checking out the WEM web page I just about flipped when I saw the PE set for the Heller 1/400 HMS Hood. I started that kit many years ago and never got beyond getting the hull and deck put together. I think I will be ordering that PE set in the next month or so and dig out that old kit! :-)
I'll probably have some pretty basic questions from time to time while building this ship. So please have patience with me. I just don't know my way around a ship model like I do armor. Sure feels good to stretch the brain though.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 05:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and ordered some of the paints from WEM. Since they will ship to the USA I figured I'd give them a try. After checking out the WEM web page I just about flipped when I saw the PE set for the Heller 1/400 HMS Hood. I started that kit many years ago and never got beyond getting the hull and deck put together. I think I will be ordering that PE set in the next month or so and dig out that old kit! :-)
I'll probably have some pretty basic questions from time to time while building this ship. So please have patience with me. I just don't know my way around a ship model like I do armor. Sure feels good to stretch the brain though.

No problem here, half the fun in this hobby is helping other modelers out! So if you have questions, shoot away!

Cheers,

Garry
 _GOTOTOP