_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Deck Colours?
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Model Shipwrights: 20 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 08:01 AM UTC
Hi there

I still haven't come to any decision about what to build for the Flat Tops campaign beyond it being a 1/48 scale WW2 vignette. Can you give me some advice on the deck colours used by the US, Britain and Japan?

Also - I've read that US decks were wood (as against the British metal) - what about the Japanese?

I'll probably also need to track down some details of the catapult and arrestor gear... Eeek!

Many thanks

Rowan
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 08:22 AM UTC
US and Japan had wooden. During the war US carriers stained decks a medium to dark blue color. Up until 1940 early 41 they were stained a mahogany color. I believe the Japanese mainly had a natural color and painted some stuff on them to make them "look" like a battleship but don't hold me too it.
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 06:33 PM UTC
Merlin:

http://www.ww2incolor.com/

This link was posted a little ways back. It may hold some of the answers you are looking for..

There is a link to the US Navy in the image gallery.. Along with some other things that may help. I didn't see a Japenese or British Navy link but it may be there.

Hope this gets you some of the answers you may be needing for your vingette

Paul
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Model Shipwrights: 20 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 09:50 PM UTC
Hi Guys

Thank you both. Steve - that info is a big help in getting me started and Paul - the website you've provided a link to is amazing! Of course, me being me, I got instantly distracted by the aircraft photos , but I'll go in search of carriers...

Thanks again, all the best

Rowan
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 - 07:49 PM UTC
Rowan:

Don't feel bad about going to the Aircraft first. I was doing a little Naval research myself and got caught in the same trap you did.. It was about an hour later I got to the Naval link

Glad it helped

Paul
 _GOTOTOP