_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
72nd scale hull numbers
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 11:12 AM UTC
Ok,
I will be building this 1/72 swift boat for my father in law. I thought I was good to go with the available decal sheet because I could hack up the sheet and come up with the correct hull number. That is, until he decided he wanted it modeled after the other boat he was on.

Anyone know where I could find 1/72nd hull numbers that would work?
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2005 - 08:52 AM UTC
Steve, are the numbers the "standard" white numbers with the slight offset black shading? If so, the "scale" isn't important, the "size" is. How big are the actual numbers you want to apply? You can find transfer sheet numbers in various sizes and those would probably work.

Tom
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2005 - 10:17 AM UTC
Tom,

They are the standard white with the offset. I'm not sure about the actual size, I'm in KC at the moment and will need to wait until I get home to measure them. (they're various sizes through out the boat...swift boat.)

See ya later
Steve
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 03:34 AM UTC
What I would do is "estimate" the "real" size of the number. For example, let's say the number on the boat is (approx) 1 foot high. You might know that demension from some spec, or can "guesstimate" it from looking at a photo. If the "real" number is 12 inches, then in 1/72 scale, that would work out to be .1666 inches. A 1/8 inch high number is .125" and a 3/16 inch number is .1875" so depending on what size numbers you can find, you can go with that.

If the real number is EXACTLY one foot high and you "cheat" and use a 3/16 on your model, it works out to being 13 1/2 inches scale height.

Anyone who would complain about that, has issues. :-)

Tom
 _GOTOTOP