_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
For PT Boat fans
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Model Shipwrights: 34 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 03:19 PM UTC
This link is from T. Garth Connelly, author of at least one Squadron book on PT boats.
www.ptboatworld.com
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 03:30 PM UTC
Many thx for the link sir! Since I am a big fan of the smaller watercraft this link is appreciated. Some nice pics, but they need some more PT Model photos......maybe some of the boat builders here might consider sending the authour of the site some.......

Tread.

P.S. I always wanted to build the PT Boat that had the Zebra stripe camo pattern.......anybody remember that one?.......Rodger?.....skipper?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 08:52 PM UTC
Gordon they just tested that scheme. It was never fielded. I think they have pictures and drawings of it in the squadron book (it's buried deep in the footlocker and I'm lazy tonite or I'ld dig it out to confirm). I was the one to purpose a small craft campaign in lieu of just a brown water Navy one to get more folks involved. But now we are just now finishing up the sub, and in a couple of months kick off the battleship and then the carrier. As for me, I'm still tied up with all the itty-bitty aircraft I need for my Nimitz. Had to stop working on the ship part because I'm at the flight deck phase ad I have finish up the aircraft to decide what goes in hanger deck and what goes on flight. Can you imagine a 1 inch airplane that has 15 parts and 12 decals multiply that by somewhere near 60 aircraft I'm doing
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 10:09 PM UTC
Hi Gordon!
Actually one of my Revell PT Boats is wearing a Zebra patern
Tedious paintjob but very much rewarding
I build her in 1996

And although it was a test patern for Elco's 80ft boats, in Victor Chun book "PT Boats in World War Two" there are several pictures of the specific boat in question - which I bought when it was published, after I build my Zebra Pt-Boat

I'll post some pics for you guys

Skipper
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 - 03:29 AM UTC
Howdy fellas,

Yeah, I was aware of the belief that it was never field tested, but one of the guys I know down at Colpar's here in Colorado talked to a guy who apparently said that it was indeed used in some small engagement somewhere, but in a supporting role only to test the validity of the experimental camo.
The whole conversation sprang from talking about the 'dazzle' paintjobs on the larger vessels. Unfortunately my friend had not seen this guy in the store in quite sometime, so any chance at potentially verifying the 'story' is slim. Besides, it would only be his word.
blaster, just for the record, I was completely behind you onthe 'Small Watercraft' build. Boats of this size have always intrigued me. PT Boats, E Boats, Vospers, all the way thru to the 'Nam era BWN boats. I understand you having a full plate, but if you ever want to crank that one up....just let me know. Ya got my attention for what it's worth

skipper, I would love to see pics of your 'Zebra' PT Boat! Try to post them, will you?

Tread.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 - 04:08 AM UTC
On my part: It's a deal!

Just wait

Skipper
 _GOTOTOP