_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Backdating the King George V?
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 172 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 07:53 AM UTC
Hi all,

today I bought the Tamiya 1/350 King George V, as I wanted to build a ship, and something different to the Axis stuff I usually build.

This might become my big summer project. Now on the side of the box, they show a far more interesting and atractive camo-scheme then the standard grey. They list it as the 1944 scheme, but warn that the ship is in 1945 configuration. So this leads to the following questions:

What is the difference between the 1944 and 1945 configuration, and how noticable is it?

How easy is it to backdate the kit?

Does anyone have/know a decent and fairly cheap reference? Frankly I am not willing to pay big bucks ($ 40/50+) for a reference, as I would like to spend it on other things (perhaps Su-27 with conversion).

Can someone help me out? Thanks a lot in advance,

Harm
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 08:51 PM UTC
There is a huge difference btwn the 1941 verson and the 45, but from what I can tell, the ship was modified in 1942. It had the aircraft replaced by a boat deck and the 40mm were increased (all those little guns in a tub at the rear and front of ship. Btwn 44 and 45 I don't know, perhaps a few less 40mm gun tubs. Ask this question on the modelwarships web if you don't get a response here . Half-yank seems to know quite a bit about the British battleships
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 09:17 PM UTC
Harm,
I've limited research on the KG V as she was in May 1943 (Warship Vol. III Conway Maritime Press, 1979) it's 2 rather small line drawing and a few sentences. I'll just copy the text here for you and hopefully you'll be able to join the dots as it were because although I have the kit I can't remember what options the kit's instructions gave.
Early '40: pom-pom director platform between forward HACS directors replaced by Type 271 surface warning radar.
Dec '40:UP mountings removed, Type 271 replaced with 273 (lantern on foremast starfish) five Type 282 radars added. 18 single 20mm oerlikons fitted (5 on forecastle, 5 on quarterdeck, 2 on each side no.1 platform above forward 5.25" turrets, 4 on boat deck.
Early '42: four Type 285 radars added.
May '43: Two 32' cutters abreast forecastle removed, 20 single 20mm oerlikon added(2 each side mainmast, 4 on each side catapult deck, 4 abreast B turret and 4 on quarterdeck) upper bridge extended aft and Admirals bridge forward.
Below are listed alterations of her Feb-July '44 refit at Liverpool. So anything listed here would have to be OMITTED from your model.
Added-2 US quad Bofors, 4 twin 20mm on former boat deck 2 pom pom and 2 Bofors directors on after superstructue.6 twin 20mm oerlikon, radar Type 279B aerial on mainmast, 8 barrel pom pom on Y turret, searchlight platorm on forefunnel modified to accomodate single oerlikons, internal degaussing coil fitted.
I'm not sure if in '43 she had quad or 8 barrel pom poms on B and Y turrets and she would have still carried her aircraft and associated equipment.
If I find anything else to help you I'll post it here.
Good Luck and Happy Modelling
Tom
P.S. Don't forget to post plenty of pics!

DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 172 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 04:19 AM UTC
Well,

if it is going to work out, I'll have a lot to do... and fear for having to get the expensive reference as I'll need the pics. Anyway, I do have the time till June at least before ordering...

Anyways, I have to finish my other models first. Ofcourse I will post as many pics as possible (if my housemate will lend me his digicam...

Thanks for the help.

Harm
 _GOTOTOP