_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
curse you Squadron Shop
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 08:01 AM UTC
This weekend in conjunction with the Scalefest in Dallas, Squadron opens its doors to the public (only once a year folks). They always have some unlisted specials / show secials they set up. This year it was ship modelers heaven. The Revell 72nd uboat was $48 and they also had a lot of the AM on show special. That Admiral Kon*&#^ Russian Aircraft Carrier by Trumpeter for (GULP!!!!) $100 !!!!!!!!!! The 350 Missouri by Tamiya for $35 and the one that caught me The Trumpeter Liberty for $29. (Couldn't afford the Admiral K and had the others). I only went looking to pick up some paint and to see if I could find some substitute decals to use for my Lexington project. I couldn't find lettering, but got a sheet of yellow and think I may be able to cut out what I need, that and I can make stripping for it
zoomie50
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 358 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 08:08 AM UTC
Steve
I got to go to one of Squadrons open houses a couple of years ago. Think my wallet is still trying to recover . Ah but the bargains. I picked up A Tamiya Dragon Wagon for half the cost. A long with a few other goodies. I might sound like a broke record, but a guy here on the site goes by "gator "does custom decals and stencils at very low prices.

Jerry
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 12:35 PM UTC
I got hit by the buying bug at the regional show yesterday. Nothing worth a lot of money (didn't pay more than $5 for any one kit), but I five dollared myself into the $60 range.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 01:08 PM UTC
Shoot, I did good at the show yesterday. They had a guy that was selling Dragon kits for an average of $10 below the Great Models sale prices. I maaged to resist. In fact the only thing I bought was a tin of Mahagony deck stain (WEM) for a whopping $2.25. Today I dropped $65 at sqadron...and all I was really looking for was decals anda can of dark gray spray to do the decks of my Nimitz and eventually Enterprise.

Gator you say. think I'll have to PM him
 _GOTOTOP