_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
KG V help, PoW kit pics needed
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 172 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 11:53 PM UTC
Hi guys,

as stated iin a previous post I would like to do a backdate of the Tamiya 1/350 King George V in it's pre- 1944 refit version (mainly motivated by the camo-scheme). I emaield Whiteensign models with some questions, and now I have the following request.

The kit displays the KG V in the configuration it had when sent to the Pacific in 1945. In the 1944 refit the major modification was the removal/modification of everything related to the use of the airplane, as Allycat pointed out. Dave from WEM suggested that the best way to do it was actually using the 1/350 PoW. This though has me running into the problem of cash-availability. So now I have the following question:
Is it possible for someone who has the Tamiya PoW-kit to send me pics of the appropriate parts. If so, then pleas PM me and I'll send you my email address.

I myself will go to the naval museum library in the near future (when exams are done) for the Alan Raven book on British battleships (his book on the KG V-class is not available in the Netherlands in any library).

Thanks in advance (and I am looking forward to this project).

Harm
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2005 - 07:29 AM UTC
I unfortunately for you built the KGV rathe than the POW. but, if I am not mistaken, the boat deck was a piece you glued in btwn the funnels. removal of this would be a key element as she woud have had a couple of Walrus scout planes instead. The deck under it would be wood with a single rail / ramp running through the middle from side to side. I think the WEM brass set for POW has the hanger doors so you can cover this and say the planes are inside. The POW was sunk in Dec 1941 . The KGV had modifications done to her in 42 where extra AA were added. She had further modifications done later on that involved getting rid of airraft and adding the boat deck and additional AA. So the only "accuracy problem" I see for you is how many of those AA gun tubs do you remove. The POW and early KGV ony had 3 near the fan tail. How many were added and when in the 42 refit is the problem. Final config has 18. There is a possibility that there is a minihobbies kit out there of the POW (350 scale) that is a lot cheaper if you want to go that route. Me myself...I think I would just not put the boat deck piece in put the doors for the aircraft hanger on and go with it figuring the AA guns tub count is going to be reasonably close.
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 172 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2005 - 11:41 AM UTC
Blaster,

I figured that out... also, I have found a Russian site (slow loading) which lists all the changes and modifications, including the extra AA (I figured most of that out with the help of the Russian site). From this same site, the PoW would need some modification of the bridge to be accurate for the KG V.

I'll see what I can do with the book at the museum and go from there (as the boats need relocation as well). I'll see where it ends up, I am sure however I will have a ot of fun building this kit.

Thanks for the help.
 _GOTOTOP