_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
USS California 'homage' building assistance..
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 10:37 AM UTC
Howdy All,

On another thread I have shared my recent (and wonderful) experience talking with someone I consider a "Hero Right Next Door". This is a gentleman who served on the United States 'Tennessee' Class Battleship, the USS California during WW II.

The 'odd' way I discovered his participation and service aboard the California, has been by admiring a painting I can see on his livingroom wall as I walk back down the street from walking my dog Sirius Black. I have enjoyed looking at this painting almost every night. Apparently his grandson painted it for him so he could enjoy his own set of 'memories' whenever he looked at it.
I just spoke with his son (my neighbour), and asked him if he had any other examples of the ship he spent so much time on and served so bravely upon, and the answer was 'no'.
I have decided, though not being an accomplished ship modeler, to attempt to build a 1/350th scale miniature of the USS California for him. It would be a selfish act for me, as I would get great satisfaction out of his enjoyment of the acceptance of such a 'thing'. And, with any luck, he might share in some of the very same 'selfishness' of having something that represents his 'old' ship, in the form of something he can hold in his hands and enjoy...

But, herein lies my problem.....I don't know where to find a 1/350th scale 'Tennessee' Class Battleship to build. So, if any of you saltier dawgs could maybe point me in the right direction, I would be grateful for your time.
TY.

Tread.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Model Shipwrights: 51 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 04:51 PM UTC
Sounds great. Can't help you with a kit, but I think what you are doing is great. Good luck.
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 05:30 PM UTC
Only Game in town from ISW is on sale 25% off of $325 this month.

Commanders May ship specials
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 05:35 PM UTC
Iron Shipwrights makes one. It is a resin kit. You can get it from Trident for around $290.00 Based on the way it is sold I am betting this is the cage-mast version Peal Harbor time frame. Don't know about the rebuild configuration. Possibly a resin in 700 scale
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 02:30 AM UTC
Gordon, that is a very interesting story. You might tell him about the Colorado Crew, http://www.thecoloradocrew.org/

One guy there has a 1/72 scale scratch built USS Colorado. Colorado was a near sister of the "Prune Barge" the nickname of the California. The major difference between the two was California has 12 14" guns, in four tripples, and Colorado has 8 16" guns, four twins.

Your friend might be interested in seeing that ship.

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 05:18 AM UTC
Howdy fellas,

Many thx for taking the time to reply.

Thx for pointing me at the Iron Ship Wright's page Mike, but that price is a bit steep, especially considering all the other 'irons in the fire' I've got going.....I was really hoping for some 'magic' here, you know, a plastic kit........but then a wish like that combined with two-bits only gets me a cup of joe.

I don't suppose there's a 1/700th scale version of the California, is there? I would much prefer the larger scale, but maybe the smaller scale would be OK as well......

Thx for kind words of encouragement Gino, they mean a lot

Blaster, the "cage" mast version would be pretty neat to build (and more dramatic IMHO) but I was actually planning on building it after refit, and in it's Measure 32 'dazzle' paint scheme.

And if I am going to go with the smaller scale version of the ship (if available), then maybe the 'dazzle' paint job would make it stand out better....

Rodger, thx for reminding me about the Colorado Crew, that's a darn good idea. Their 'workshop' is not that far away from me, and I know a couple of the 'crew', so maybe I can talk him into coming down with me and looking around...thx.

If any of you fellas know of a smaller scale kit of this ship, please let me know.

Tread.

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 07:50 AM UTC
Tread
There is no plastic out there of her in any scale or configuragion. You might find one of the Pewter / white metal 1:1200 scales that will have a late version. ALNAVCO is the only company off hand that I remember. I had a few of the WW 1 warships 25 years ago. They aren't cheap, but should be around $50 or less (like I said it has been 25 years) Seems there was also a German company called Neptune as well. Check with some of thoselarge ship model retailers like Trident and totalnavy.com
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 12:56 AM UTC
Actually, ISW has a Tennesee, West Virginia, and California all in one in 1944 fit.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Model Shipwrights: 32 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 01:06 AM UTC
Great idea. I have built and given away a Ford Mutt gunjeep, to a guy who drove one in Nam, a P47 Thunderbolt to a guy who was run over by one while driving a jeep on an airstrip in England (no kidding, damn near killed him) and the USS Stevens, a Fletcher class destroyer to a guy who was sure it was going to capsize and kill him during one of those tsunamis that hit the fleet. That guy actually saw the flash from the Nagisaki bomb. I also have the occasional beer with a guy who was on the USS Chicago. They were the second ship into Tokyo Bay behind the Missouri. He saw the surrender signed. Enjoy those guys while they are still around.

Sorry if this is way topic. Too much coffee.

Shaun
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 01:56 AM UTC
HP makes a 1944/1945 version of the California. Pacific Front Hobbies lists it in their catalog for $110.00, but this may have gone up, considering the exchange rate of the dollar to the Euro.

WLUS010 Battleship California (1945 Rebuilt fit) 110.00

Here's a picture of the Prune Barge's sister Tennessee, built by Frank O'Neill from an HP kit.

Looks like a decent kit. If you really want to do 1/350, Iron Shipwright's Tennessee, kit #4-042, (you can also do either California or WeeVee) is being discontinued. They are having a 25% off sale through today, so you may want to pick up the phone and call them. Tell Ted you are building it for a vet, maybe he'll work with you to get rid of what's on hand. BTW - RUMOR has it that there may be a plastic 1/350 late-war California coming down the pike next year.
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 12:11 AM UTC
Just a heads up- Pacific front has the sku numbers reversed -for the California it is us011.
 _GOTOTOP