_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
20 mm AA on Missouri
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2005 - 03:56 AM UTC
OK, I realize that this falls into either the "who knows" or "who cares" categories, but it's a slow day, so it's worth a try.

There may be no way to know for sure because of the fast changing nature of ship updates, but I'm wondering about the numbers of 20 mm installations on the Missouri in late 1945.

I have both the "Iowa Class Battleships" and the Illustrated History of the Missouri, which have a TON of detailed information and how she changed over time.

During late WW II, many ships replaced some of their single 20 mm mounts with a twin 20mm. The references I have state that as originally built, Missouri had I believe it was 49 single mount 20 mm, (I don't have the book in front of me at the moment). I have both line drawings and the kit instructions, and I have NO problem locating all of them.

Then in late 1945 it shows that there were also 8 twin 20 mm mounts. But here's the problem. It still says there were 49 20 mm, which would seem to imply that there were 8 ADDITIONAL mounts added.

I have a second line drawing which shows 8 twin mounts installed in 4 different locations on the main deck in PLACE of where there were originally single mounts, but there is no evidence of where 8 ADDITIONAL mounts could be.

So the question is, does anybody know for certain whether the twin mounts were incremental (as the reference appears to state) or were these simply replacements. (Or does it REALLY matter?)

Based on the line drawing, I'm planning to put 8 twins on the deck where indicated, and then put on 41 singles in the remaining locations, for a total of 49.

It ain't like there's a LAW that it has to be perfect, but I was just wondering if anybody has any better reference info. The kit is never going to be any place but my display cabinet, and I KNOW that nobody is gonna look at it and say, "you've got a mistake here", but I'm curious.

Any ideas?

Tom
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2005 - 04:13 AM UTC
Tom,

I'll see my books at home later today and see if I have anything that my help you out!

Skipper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2005 - 10:00 AM UTC
Tom

I would suggest getting on the modelwarship website. They have some real trivia buffs there. It seems that at one time or another someone is building one of those 6 footers of an Iowa class. Hell, I've see them arguing about how many signal flag lines one of them had on a certain date, so I imagine you'll get a wealth of info.
ws48
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Model Shipwrights: 15 posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2005 - 10:41 AM UTC
Tom,

My Warships Data Book list the armament as follows:

June '44
49 Single 20mm

April '45
49 Single
8 Double

Sept '45
43 single
8 Double

june '46
26 single
8 double

Jan '47
22 single
8 double

Oct '47
No singles
16 double

April '51
No singles
32 doubles

Hope this helps.

Don
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 10:34 PM UTC
Hi Tom!

Sorry but I couldn't find any indication on my resources about your question/doubt!

Sorry Mate

Skipper
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2005 - 08:04 AM UTC
Don, thanks for the information.

That agrees exactly with what I found in my "Iowa Class Battleships" as well.

Reading that EXACTLY as written would imply that she started with 49 "positions" if you will, then in April of 45 added 8 more "positions" (for a total of 57), and then in Sept of 45 had removed 6 of the original "positions" (or moved the doubles into their place), resulting in a total of 51 positions.

The trouble I'm having is that my instructions and both the line drawings I have, still only indicate the location for a total of 49 "positions", so if I do a Sep 1945 (my plan) I now either have to figure out where to put the two extra "positions" and which ones are the doubles, or simply go with the line drawing that tells me where to put the 8 doubles, but only shows 49 instead of the indicated 51.

I'll probably take Steve up on his suggestion to ask on the modelwarship site and see what they have to say.

If nobody knows for SURE, where the "extra" positions were, or exactly where the doubles were, I'm probably going to put them on the deck where the line drawing shows, and rather than "guess" where to put two more (51) just go with 49 that I know where they go.

Thanks again for the help!!!

Tom

_GOTOTOP