_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Sailing Vessels
This forum is for sailing ships both civilian and military of any era.
the bounty
kubelmanjam
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 66 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 11:01 PM UTC
i was recently given a model of the bounty, in wood, from the magazine , building the bounty, the hull was semi built, this is the first wooden ship model i have ever built, does anyone eles have made it and any tips and hints

cheers
james
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 11:13 PM UTC
Greetings, James!
I personally haven't built this subject in a wooden model, but I have built others...the main thing to remember is like with other models, do plenty of research on your subject, document as much as you can for accuracy, and take your time! You stated that the hull has been partially built, and with the wooden models that I have built in the past, most of the hulls were provided in a state that had to be final shaped and sanded by the modeler, and templates were provided to do so...if this is the case with your subject, that would be the first place that I would start, to make sure that it has been done correctly...I'm sure that you will find this to be a pleasing change from plastic, as it is a very different type of medium to work with, and some parts of the construction can prove to be quite a challenge, depending on the detail of the kit...Do you have any pic's that you can put up to share with us? I'm curious of the make of the kit that you have...like I have said earlier, take your time, and use the proper methods of sealing the pores in the wood before you paint anything...and above all, have fun with it!
Gunny
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 12:02 AM UTC
Hi James

Most of us here are not woodenship builders, but I can direct you to one of us who is building the Cutty Sark: Henk

http://www.armorama.co.uk/forums/51139&page=1

See his post and I think he is the right person for you to make questions.

Cheers,

Skipper
Henk
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 12:21 AM UTC
Hi James,

I see that Skipper's lightning reflexes have beaten me to it, but yes, I'm doing a wooden ship model at the moment. At the moment meaning that it's 'under construction'.. I do bit's and pieces in between other projects, as doing this one in one go would keep me busy for possibly months. And my attention span is not ....who are you? :-) :-) only kidding, but you do need to plan a build like this and take your time. As Gunny asked, it would help to know some more details about the brand and kit and which make it is.

If you have any questions James, just shoot, either in a post or a PM.

Good luck
Henk
kubelmanjam
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 03:37 AM UTC
hey guys, thanks for the tips, it is a lot different as im normally into building armor but im getting on well,
i have checked the hull and it is all in good order,
the kit isnt really a make ???? if that makes sence
delPrado is the company of magazine

cheers again james
kubelmanjam
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 03:54 AM UTC
oh yeh , sorry for the double post, looking at th efigures id say it was around 1/72 scale
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 04:38 AM UTC
Hmmm

If it's a Del Prado series I would say it could be Artesania Latina - but not sure about it!

Sorry for the fast reflexes, Henk - I haven't reached the 40 years barrier - very close... :-)
Have you give more varnish coats on the deck of Cutty Sark?
About the door on the wrong way, remember that Cutty Sark, prior to be in Greenwish and of being fully restored, was since July 22, 1895 in the hands of a Portuguese Company called Joaquim Antunes Ferreira & Cª,under the name Ferreira.
It costed £1250
Probably modifications were made for the transport of sugar, cacoa, wood, wine, ivory, tabaco, coal and all the needed merchandise from and to Portugal and our colonies (at the time: Timor, Macau, India (Diu, Damao, Goa) Mozambique, Angola, Guinea-Bissau, Cape Verde) and other customer countries (British Empire, US, Brasil) - this from the known records.

Although in Portuguese:
Cutty Sark

Termopylae in the Portuguese Navy: Pedro Nunes
Interesting that Revell in the early 70's had a model of this (reboxed Thermopylae with different painting scheme) and in the late 90's they made a re-release of it again - it was in 1:96 scale and a good model

Skipper
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 07:27 AM UTC
I tried a wooden kit once. It was a disaster. I just remembr trying to cut pieces out of the balsa planks and the the whole sheet splitting ruining other pieces. It does smell a hec of a lot better then plastic though when yu work on it.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Model Shipwrights: 85 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 08:37 AM UTC
If this is the 'HMS Bounty' from the DelPrado magazine then I've built it. Overall it's a good model with very few problems providing you take care and exercise a lot of patience!

I believe it's actually 1/96 scale

Henk
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 - 12:53 AM UTC
Ahoy Skipper,

Thanks for that info and the link Rui, I'll run it through Babelfish later... I knew that some modifications had been made, I'm trying to get a bit of chronology in my ( limited) research. Not much progress lately, but should be doing some more next week and week-end.

Dave,

Is that an old picture or have you dusted her off?
She'll be much happier in the livingroom, you know it makes sense.. :-) .

BTW James, where abouts in the South West are you?

Cheers
Henk
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 - 03:11 AM UTC
WOW, that's quite a build there, Dave!
James, if this is the model that you have, you've definitely got your work cut out for you for a first wooden ship attempt! You better have a hefty shelf on your wall to display that beauty...
Dave...how many hours do you think that you have in this build?
Gunny
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 - 04:04 AM UTC
Henk / Gunny

That's an old pic, It sure ain't that clean anymore!! As it's a 'cutaway' model there's more dust traps than usual on this one.

The magazine was issued in fortnightly parts, and it took two years to get all the parts and about a month more than that to finish it. This baby is plank on frame all the way up - no solid hull former! All the holds, cabins etc below deck are there as well.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 - 04:25 AM UTC
Sounds very cool, Dave...ya got any more pic's of this beast? I'd love to see the cutaway side, too! Looks like it was a very interesting build...plank on plank...yeah, baby!
Gunny
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 - 09:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds very cool, Dave...ya got any more pic's of this beast? I'd love to see the cutaway side, too! Looks like it was a very interesting build...plank on plank...yeah, baby!
Gunny

Sorry Gunny, that's the best there is unless I take some more - the only way to get pics of the inside would be with flash, and I've got a clear plastic cover over it to stop a lot of the dust.

kubelmanjam
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 09:51 PM UTC
wow dave, i dont think id be able to build it up to that standard.. looks fantastic, henk, barnstaple is where im from,
the only trouble im having with the ship is the centerpiece for the main deck, its just not wanting to join, i think some sanding and filling is in order,
mark i was planning to place it in the cabinet we have in our front room, but, seing the finished thing
im gonna have to put it somwhere...
 _GOTOTOP