_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
NEWS
  Future Warship Release From White Ensign Models...
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Model Shipwrights: 171 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 12:34 AM UTC
Just posted, from John Snyder, is news of White Ensign Models'' future release - the WWII fast minelayer HMS Abdiel in 1/350th scale... The full storycan be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 01:03 AM UTC
Hi Jim and John

HMS Abdiel was the first of the Abdiel-class British minelayer cruiser, she was launched on 23rd March 1940 and sunk in Taranto bay, Italy on 10th September 1943 by a ground mine laid to protect the harbour. This happened the day after Italian forces had surrendered.

Exquisite choice John
Send my regards to Caroline and to the rest of the WEM Gang

Skipper

EDIT: For those who don't remember, didn't notice or weren't born, Matchbox had a Abdiel Class minelayer, HMS Ariadne in their 1/700 waterline series
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 02:32 AM UTC
Oh Jim, why do you torture me so. I'm sure this is a great kit, but at a fairly high percentage of what I paid for my car. Wish my wife would get her business going so she can support me in a manner to which I'd like to become accustomed.

The Abdiel was generally called a "Cruiser Minelayer" but she was cruiser only in size. She was only armed with half a dozen 4.7" guns, less than some destroyers. She got her best use as a fast ship for getting supplies through to besiged units.

ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 02:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

EDIT: For those who don't remember, didn't notice or weren't born, Matchbox had a Abdiel Class minelayer, HMS Ariadne in their 1/700 waterline series

Airfix also did one of this class in 1/600 scale, HMS Manxman
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 03:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh Jim, why do you torture me so. I'm sure this is a great kit, but at a fairly high percentage of what I paid for my car. Wish my wife would get her business going so she can support me in a manner to which I'd like to become accustomed.

:-) I can relate, Rodger! The temptation is almost too much to handle, though...thanks for the link, Jim, and the news, John...
Gunny
_Admiral_Fil
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 60 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 03:24 AM UTC
Excellent choice by the WEM team!!! Thought I don't build 1/350 surface ships very often I believe it's a good go by WEM. I have the old Matchbox model of HMS Ariadne and have been buying extras to overdetail her for ages. Very beautiful ships indeed!!!

P.S.: BTW, No ship of this class ever had 4.7' guns but only 4' guns in double turrets (either 3 or 2 turrets) plus a large variety of light AA guns (Bofors, Vickers Pom-Poms, various types of Oerlikons, etc).
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 04:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Airfix also did one of this class in 1/600 scale, HMS Manxman

Thanks Geoff - I missed this one

For all to enjoy the period of wonderfull model box illustrations:

Skipper

EDIT: Note the different weapon arrangement
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

P.S.: BTW, No ship of this class ever had 4.7' guns but only 4' guns in double turrets (either 3 or 2 turrets) plus a large variety of light AA guns (Bofors, Vickers Pom-Poms, various types of Oerlikons, etc).

See what I get for going off memory instead of looking it up. Sigh, the mind goes first.

Thanks for correcting me.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 04:52 AM UTC
Hey c'mon Rodger!!!

Don't be like that! There's no need for it!
Of all the crew, you are one of the Highly Reliable Knowledge Sources

Skipper

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 07:42 AM UTC
I remember the 700 scale matchbox kit. I had gotten a Skywaves 1/700 D-Day set and picked one o these up to go with it. I was a fanatical 700 ship builder in the 70's. Had all the Japanese BB's AC's HC's and DD's they built. They hadn't started branching out into other navies. Remeber the North Carolina and that was about it. When I graduated from VMI I gave the entre fleet away....and it was a fleet with 11 BB's, 4 AC's,14 HC,s and about a dozen or so DD's and a few subs. In the early 80's I got started up again, but limited myself just to one of BB's and AC's Gave all those away in 89 when I moved to TExas. I had just built the 350 Yamato so I got the Tirpitz for $20 from some guy and built it severa years later. Now I'm going nuts for all these wonderful 350 scale ships hitting the market.
_Admiral_Fil
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 60 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 09:43 AM UTC
Yes, so many models indeed...and so many on stock to be built (Ariadne included)!!! I completely give up of counting them...I really prefer not to!!!!
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
Model Shipwrights: 292 posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 - 12:00 AM UTC
Actually, this ship will kit out at nearly the same size as our 1/350 J/K/N class destroyers, so the price should be in their range (though we won't know for sure until we get a casting quote). Peter Hall is developing the master pattern so that the kit can be built as other ships of the class as well....

Cheers,
John Snyder
White Ensign Models
http://WhiteEnsignModels.com
 _GOTOTOP