_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
How many planes for Trumpeter USS Essex
chuckster
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Model Shipwrights: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 04:45 PM UTC
I've read the literature on the Trumpeter USS Essex and noticed it has its aircraft molded in clear plastic. I presume you paint the plane but leave the canopy unpainted so as to get the clear canopy effect. This may make the kit attractive, but does anybody know what kind of aircraft are provided and how many? Are additional aircraft for this kit available anywhere?

P.S. I remember back in the 70's I bought an Aurora USS Enterprise kit which boasted it featured Wildcat, Dauntless, and Devestator aircraft. They were right, the kit contained exactly one of each! Try launching an airstrike with that loadout.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 05:12 PM UTC
I have the kit and I believe you get:

Wildcat x6
Dauntless x6
Avenger x6

There may be more, I do not know without looking.

Yes, Trumpeter offers more sets seperately, usually in groups of 6 or 10 per box for about $10 or so...
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 - 08:08 AM UTC
If you are talking about the 350 scale Essex, you get 6 each Hellcat, Dauntlas, and Avenger. Each plane is molded in three colos of plastic, gray for wings/fuselage, black for wheels and props and a clear canopy. Each plane is in approx 9 or so pieces. If you look, sometimes you can get a bargain on buying additional aircraft. Some are in units of 6 some in 10, cost boils down to $1 a plane as 10 packs are around $10 ad 6 packs come it at $6. If you are opening up the hangerdeck doors for interior viewing then you need a bunch to put in there and if you want to cover the deck you'll need lots of planes. I think she carried somewhere near 90 aircraft, but I don't know breakdown.

I see that they plan to release a 700 scale Essex by Trumpeter, and I would guess they provide a simular air wing, perhaps more.
inopia
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 120 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 - 09:01 AM UTC
Evening guys,
Apologies for butting in, but I had always hoped this book of mine would come in handy..
"Aircraft Carriers of the World, 1914 to the present" Robert chesneau, ISBN1-86019-875-9
This gives an "optimum" compliment on the "Essex" Class of 91 aircraft; 37 dive bomber, 36 fighter and 18 torpedo bomber..but states that in combat often carried over 100..hope this is some use, it would be a hell of a sight to model a full airwing on deck
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 - 04:38 PM UTC
My source, The Fleets of World War II, gives 100 as standard, 108 as maximum. From what I've read over the years though I don't think there was a "standard" load at all. Kind of like how some infantry companies managed to get a platoon of tanks "attached" to them, ship captains would try to get as many planes as they could. One limiting factor was the size of the aircraft. The Helldiver was quite a bit bigger than the Dauntless, so less of them could be carried.

I think if you have anything close to 90 aircraft, divided pretty much like Martin mentioned, two squadrons of fighters, two squadrons of dive bombers, and on squadron of torpedo bombers, with each squadron having 18 aircraft, you'll be pretty close. You can always say some were lost in combat, if you're low, or that they had just gotten reinforcements, if you're high.

I'm just not sure if you could show that many on the kit or not.

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 27, 2005 - 11:15 AM UTC
Chuckster...while I'm not sure of the numbers of plans included, I believe fujimi offers the clear 1/700 scale aircraft. Hawsegawa offers a US naval aircraft kit that has Hellcats, Corsairs, Helldivers and Avengers. I'm sure with Trumpeter's past, they will provide seperate aircraft kits.

Subhunter
 _GOTOTOP