_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Vasa Swedish Battleship
VladVolkov
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 127 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 05:23 AM UTC
I have a friend who came from Stockholm last week and he visited the shore museum of the Vasa battleship. No phtos, but i have a link http://photoguide.to/stockholm/vasamuseum2.html . Im just curious, because as i explained i dont have any intention of waiting for mailed models in the near future, has anyone ever built a model of the Vasa battleship? Is there a model of it anywhere, except the real thing. I first read about it back in 1996 when i bought my first book about ships, i still have a crush on ships...aircraft, AFVs etc... Neglecting social contact with anyone outside home i read and read and read, its so boring, but the knowledge rewards are great. As i saw from the first drawings i had of the ship, the textsaid it had a very beautifully decorated stern, as my book's text says, im translating from Russian ''The Swedish battleship was sank in 1628 due to design faults. It was too narrow for its lenght and the cannons on decks right above the waterline made it too heavy. It was armed with 64 cannons on 2 decks and a very ornately decorated stern with emblems and crests of the Swedish Royal Navy. She was the flagship of the Swedish fleet when she capsized in the bay of Stockholm. She was brought up in 1961 and restored as a museum exposition in Stockholm''. Any Ideas about it? Please dont offer mailing forms or painting techniques, im just asking if anyone has heard of this ship or a model of it.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 05:41 AM UTC
Hi Volkov

Airfix had a 1/144 Wasa model back in the 70's

Airfix's Wasa

Skipper
VladVolkov
Visit this Community
Lebanon
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 07:00 AM UTC
Whoa, 24 pounds, my Saint Louis in 1/72 scale cost 23$ from Heller. Anyone else who has things to show? Besides, the Vasa was from 1628 with 64 cannons aboard, and my sirene from 1704 has 112 cannons aboard and my Saint Louis (both from Heller in 1/72 ) has 168 cannons aboard. I remember it as clear as daylight when i was working on the Sirene last year during my midyear exams...Dont worry, im an excellent student and i always have the highest grades, thats something im really proud of as im in a class of , as our teachers call us, retards. I remember working pediously drawing out each wheel on on the cannons with superglue, since i had run out of Tamiya glue and wa short of it when i started the thing. I despise doing the railings, dut i redo them if at least 4 railsteps fail to look good. I cant explain why, but the waterglue i used for the middle railing F, turned red over time. You can see that in my gallery, maybe because it was very cheap chinese nameless glue that they sold in bulk even without a brand name. However i had more success with the Saint Louis, the railcord was black in contrast to The Sirene's white thread that came with the kit. Can anyone tell me why the glue turned red? I have great grades on chemistry but im not really into it and we dont take the properties of bad glue in 11th grade. Also, instead of tediously glueing the sails to the yardarms and standing still for a few minutes in awkward positions for a few minutes paraying for the glue to dry, i tie the sails to the arms with a needle and thread, it looks more realistic and is safer, from an acrobatic (and respiratory) point of view.
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 795 posts
Model Shipwrights: 12 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 07:36 AM UTC
Heres the official site for those who want to read more about this ship which sank on her maiden voyage just a few hundred meters after being set in the sea.

http://www.vasamuseet.se/Vasamuseet/Vasamuseet.aspx?path=%2fhome%2fvasamuseet%2fom&layout={C0D465E0-3110-436A-A0E4-EA5BB84475B8}

The Airfix kit is a dog, many has started it never to finish (me include as a 10 year old, and sometimes I think of settling the score with that kit ).
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Model Shipwrights: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 10:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Airfix kit is a dog

Ha ha ha!!!! Putting it mildly!
I started this kit with big plans for the Swedish campaign. I glued the 2 halves of the hull together, and placed the deck. Then I put it back in the box, and built the Trumpeter strv. 103 instead!
Maybe some day! Its in storage until I lose my job and begging doesnŽt cover the price of an old Tamiya figure set!
The museum is cool though .... Maybe IŽll visit it again and get inspired!
dogload
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 585 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 06:54 PM UTC
I made the Airfix Wasa when I was a kid (that'd be in the 1970's, sob), and as far aas I remember it wasn't bad... of course that was a long time ago through rosey glasses.
Having said that, I have made several airfix kits in the last couple of years, and find that the quality is really quite poor as regards the fitting of parts- fuselage halves not matching or meeting properly, wings not fitting flush to the roots etc. Have they changed that much or is my memory flawed? I know they were never perfect, but...
Anyway the beautifully rigged and gilded Wasa was pride of place on my mum's sideboard for a long time, till the fateful day my gran decided it needed dusting, and that was that.

MC
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 07:03 PM UTC
If you are bold and adventurous, you might want to build a wood version. There is a model company called modelexpo (i'm sure that is also their websie address) that sells tons of wooden kits and they are frequently knocked off to half price....They are not cheap, but if you truely are super-taleted these build into museum pieces
VladVolkov
Visit this Community
Lebanon
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 09:39 PM UTC
Ahem, ahem, wooden? No thanks, ill stick to plastic, and besides, i never was adventurous.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2005 - 07:22 AM UTC
If I ever win he lottery, I plan to buy several of those large world class wooden ships...................and then pay someone else to put tem together for me
VladVolkov
Visit this Community
Lebanon
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2005 - 08:15 AM UTC
Got that right, i was thinking the same thing, they sell small wooden ships here in a shop half a km ride from my turf, they're about 20cm and cost 20$ each, made in china. I once dreamed about opening up a Tank club with a range with props etc where teams would compete with RC tanks with infra red devices. Too bad it was just a dream. If only i had one of those big Tamiya RC full option King Tigers, the 1/16 ones, ive seen one in action but their prices are astronomical. If i ever win the lottery, the chance is one in a million, statistically, 6 wheels, 10 numbers, 10 to the power six, 1 million, cardinal numbers, ... id open up a club with rental RC tanks and pit teams of Allies and Axis against each other , like online games, but on the ground with Rc tanks. Best of all i'd hire MIG to build em for me, and the price? Build 6 get one free. Its like the joke. A man sees an ad in a newspaper about a position in sewage cleaning. He goes to ask, they show him the tools, shovel, barrel, gloves etc.. Then he asks the employer- what about the payment? the Employer answers-- oh, dont even worry about that, gather 3 barrels of excrement and the fourth is yours. Anybody here have a Tamiya RC tank? they cost 1000$ here with the RC......
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Model Shipwrights: 15 posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2005 - 08:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anybody here have a Tamiya RC tank?

YES!!! :-) :-) :-) :-)

Erik

VladVolkov
Visit this Community
Lebanon
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2005 - 07:51 PM UTC
Cool,how much did you pay for it?
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Model Shipwrights: 15 posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2005 - 08:16 PM UTC
About a 1000$!!! The good thing is that I imported it from England, and got it 500$ cheaper than in Norway. And yes, I saved money for about a year before I bought it. In that way it did not seem so damn expencive. (Another way to fool myself)
:-) :-) :-)

Cheers
Erik
VladVolkov
Visit this Community
Lebanon
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2005 - 09:20 PM UTC
Well im sure the wait and the money paid off. When i get cash for myself, im telling you, ill buy a Leopard 2A6 too, i love that tank, pity i dont have a model of it, because the TAmiya model here costs about 44$, thats WAAAAAAAAAY beyond my budget, so it'll be a while till i buy an RC tank.. or open a club...
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Friday, September 02, 2005 - 10:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Airfix kit is a dog

Boy, I don't feel so bad about the two that I tried, and tossed out, one in my much younger days, one during my midlife crisis.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 09:47 AM UTC
I built one plastic sailing ship and it was gorgeous. Bought a large scale version (that huge Revell Old Ironsides" Then I moved. Left the small one behind, and as I had only done some hull work on the large one it went with me for about 10 years. MOved again and I left what I had done of the kit hull completed and masts mounted on top of refrig. Didn't realize I had left it until a week later. Never ventured into another one since
VladVolkov
Visit this Community
Lebanon
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2005 - 09:53 PM UTC
Well, its always a pity to leave your work behind. I only have 3 sail ships and im quite proud of them. Each one took me month to complete. And does anyone have an answer for the question i posed in an earlier post about bad Chinese glue turning red after a while? Does anyone have pictures of the Vasa model? Also, i never found any pictures of Russian Imperial Navy ships from the 16 to 18th centuries. Does anyone have any? Id much appreciate it.
 _GOTOTOP