_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Sailing Vessels
This forum is for sailing ships both civilian and military of any era.
Union Brigantine in progress
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Model Shipwrights: 213 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 11:52 AM UTC

Hi guys this is my first ship model ever its a wooden kit by Constructo called the Union it has a solid hull this is an entry level kit, so far iam enjoying the build its something different for me and she still needs a lot of work, i am not shore if anyone here is interested in this kind of war ship so any and all comments welcome.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Model Shipwrights: 85 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2005 - 06:22 PM UTC
Even though this is an 'entry level' kit, it will still need different skills from the usual plastic model. Enjoy it, have patience (you'll need it - especially with the rigging) and let us see the finished item. Certainly looks good so far!

There are a few guys on here have tried this kind of kit, so you're not totally alone - I made a large model of HMS Bounty a few years ago, there's another 'Bounty' and a 'Cutty Sark' at least underway somewhere too.

Plank on frame next?
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 02:14 AM UTC
Thanks Dave for the comment, you are right you need different skills for this kit and i have made a few mistakes already but thats okay i consider this a practice kit, i have already made more progress on her last night and am enjoying the bulid so much right from the beginning that i ordered a plank on frame kit of a spanish Galleon it will be almost twice the size of this one. More pics to come in about a week.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 03:10 AM UTC
Nice work sofar, you don't seem to have any problems working with wood. And remember, wood glue is not hazardous, no Resin dust to breathe in and no miniscule " working toolclamps " to launch accross the room.. :-) . Welcome to the wonderful world of wooden ships. I was trying to decide which model to take with me to work tonight, but you helped me decide.. The Cutty Sark it is. I've not really done much on her lately, so I'll have a good session tonight.

Remember, the trick with wooden models is not to rush things.

Cheers
Henk
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 03:42 AM UTC
Thanks Henk i am glad i could help you decide, i saw one ship in your gallery looks really good. i will keep at her till she is finished, can't wait to get to the rigging but that step will be about 2 weeks away.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 10:52 PM UTC
Greetings, RV!
This is quite a change from your usual model subject! I'm sure that with your modeling talents that this will turn out well...As Dave and Henk has said, the true key to success with a wooden kit is to take your time, think twice, measure three times, and cut once! Do keep us posted with your progress, and good luck!
Gunny
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 02:24 AM UTC
Hi RV,

It does look very nice. I've always wanted to try my hand at one of these, but never have built up enough nerve to do so and marvel those who have. I have a Brig "The Fair American" that I picked up at a garage sale...it's a beautiful plank on frame build and a Sloop that was given to me that is a solid build like yours. I hope that you will show us the finished product as well.

Best wishes
Steve
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 04:46 AM UTC
Thanks Mark you are correct this is a big change for me but change can some times be good, it gets my mind to focus on new techniques and i have learned a lot already because of the mistakes i have made. Steve glad to hear you like her so far and you should give those kits a try, i would start the solid hull first it should be a lot easier to deal with, i will post more pics maybe this weekend as i have done a lot more work on her.
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 04:53 AM UTC
Heeeeyyyyy! It looks kinda nice in here! I think it's the first time I've been here. :-)
That looks really good, and looking at it, I see there must be different types of wood used? I never realised that? I knid of imagined using Balsa for everything! It looks like an amazingly clean build, and like others here, I'm really interested to see this one with all the rigging done.....keep us updated? Nice one!

Vinnie
rv1963
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 - 05:13 AM UTC
Thanks Vinnie i think there are 4 different kinds of wood altogether in the kit, Balsa may be a little soft for alot of the parts dents and scratches very easy, not to bad for my first wooden ship kit and i can't remenber when i enjoyed building a model this much.
 _GOTOTOP